Dance Floor (Lara x Gender Neutral Reader)

Y/n leant against the buffet table, absent mindedly snacking on some of the available food. They hated formal events. Dress up in fancy uncomfortable clothes, pretend to enjoy the company and smile all the way through. Y/n has had to sit through far too many of them now that they are going out with Lara Croft. First world problems, they know it could be much worse. 

Sipping on their champagne glass, Y/n checked their phone for what felt like the one hundredth time in the past five minutes. Sighing, they scanned the room, their eyes flicking past then dance floor to the opposite side of the room where they saw their girlfriend conversating with a different man. Y/n looked at the short man, him nearly being the height of Lara, which nearly made Y/n laugh. They could tell the man was trying to act flirtatious with Lara, but in reality he looked like an idiot, and Lara looked uninterested. Her eyes met Y/n's from across the room, and she gave them a look of annoyance. Y/n smiled, amused, before sculling the last of their champagne and walking over to get a closer look at Lara's unfortunate situation. Normally, Lara would be able to handle herself, but tonight was a night where she had to uphold her image for the Croft family.

Y/n however, doesn't mind as much as their girlfriend about their image.

Walking up behind their girlfriend, they stood directly behind her, and due to their height, stared down the man from above Lara. Instantly he looked uncomfortable, and his rambling stopped. 

"All good there bro?" He questioned, arching his neck up to Y/n, who just gave a sly smile.

"Of course... bro." Y/n responded, as they slowly snaked their arms around Lara's torso, hugging her into them, and resting their chin on Lara's head. "I just thought I'd come and see my girlfriend." Y/n finished, putting extra emphasis on the word girlfriend. The man awkwardly looked up at Y/n before he looked down to the floor.

"Yeah uh, I'll talk to you later Miss Croft." The man said as he turned on his heel to walk off, not even giving Lara enough time to respond. Y/n chuckled to themself, and Lara turned around in their partner's embrace, looking up to them as she hugged them back.

"You didn't have to go and do all that." Lara said with a giggle as she stared into the eyes of her partner.

"Eh, I had fun." Y/n answered nonchalantly, and gave their girlfriend a peck on the lips. Lara let out a small scoff as she rested the side of her head against her partner. The two stood there, sharing a moment, happy to be holding each other in their arms after suffering through the event for so long.

"Can we dance?" Lara asked Y/n, a glint of childlike excitement in her eyes as she looked up to her partner. Y/n couldn't deny that look if they tried.

"Yeah, sounds good!" Y/n answered. Lara quietly cheered to herself, before excitedly grabbing her partner by the hand and leading them to the dance floor. They stood opposite to each other, Lara looking expectant towards her partner, while Y/n seemed unsure.

"Lara, I don't know how to dance." Y/n admitted, slightly embarrassed. A girlfriend that can do practically anything and they don't even know how to dance. Lara just smiled at her partner, and guided their hands where to go. Placing one hand onto her hip, and their other hand into hers, extending it out, the two slowly swayed back and forth to the music. The two had smiles of pure joy on their face, holding onto each other lovingly as they made rigid movements on the dance floor. 

Their technique definitely could use a lot of work, but nevertheless the young couple swayed back and forth, simply enjoying the moment.