Goodbye For Now (Lara x Gender Neutral Reader)

Sorry for a shorter chapter. Been very busy as of late.

- Author

Today was the day. Lara would be leaving for an expedition, and neither her or Y/n knew when she would be coming back. Y/n knew it was coming, but in their head they put it off until the day was finally upon them.

"Well, that's everything ." Lara confirmed, as she zipped up her suitcase. She turned to see her partner, pouting while stood over Lara's weapon case.

"I don't want you to leave." Y/n murmured, turning to Lara. She frowned sympathetically at Y/n's sadness. She walked over to Y/n, and held them in a tight hug.

"I know, love. I know. But I'll be back before you realise." Lara told them, rubbing their back, soothingly. Y/n held onto Lara like she would disappear if they didn't, which she would. The two stood in the middle of their bedroom at the manor, holding onto each other for the last time for a long time.

"Please be careful. I don't think I can handle you getting hurt." Y/n said, mumbling into Lara's shoulder, sniffling slightly. Lara pulled away, looking into their eyes.

"I'll be careful love. I'll call you if I ever manage to get some reception. Okay?" She said, as she caressed her partner's cheek. Y/n nodded, still evidently upset. Lara leaned forward and her lips met Y/n's in a slow, melancholy kiss. It managed to cheer them up though, as a small smile adorned their face. The two continued to hold each other, looking lovingly into each other's eyes, slowly swaying back and forth. A light knock at the door interrupted their moment. The two turned to the noise, seeing Winston, Lara's childhood best friend, caretaker, and now the couple's shared butler at the door.

"Terribly sorry if I am interrupting Miss Croft, but I suggest we make our leave soon." He said with a polite smile as he held his hands together behind his back.

"I'll be down in a minute Winston. Thank you." Lara answered, and the butler nodded and made his way back into the centre of the manor. Lara turned back to her partner, giving them a solemn look as she moved to grab some of her things. Y/n reluctantly helped her, grabbing the rest of her bags and taking them outside to the car. Winston took the bags off Y/n and loaded them into the boot. 

The young couple held onto each other once more, sharing in a small kiss.

"I'll be back soon darling. I love you." Lara told her partner.

"I love you too." Y/n responded, with a sad smile on their face.

With that the two separated. Lara got into the passenger seat of the car, and Winston closed the door behind her. The car drove off, and Y/n waved towards the tinted passenger seat window, as it rolled down the street towards the airport. Once it was out of view, they turned back to the manor and closed up behind them. At least Winston can keep them company.