13- Hate Marked By Love

The Demon Bull Family Fortress was huge.

Wukong squinted at the huge blur of reds and blacks, sniffing the sulfur-rich air. MK cleared his throat beside his mentor, "We're going to go in, and we're going play nice. Okay..?" Wukong huffed, his fur bristling, "Sure."

Mei huffed as well, "Maybe." MK squawked, "Wha-- We need to play nice, guys! C'mon, please?" Just for a little while?" Wukong unconsciously placed a hand against the ring worn around his neck, feeling the small thrum of power within it.

"...Okay."

---

Red Son stared in shock as the team entered semi-forcefully.

"What are you doing here?!" The fire demon glanced around nervously, "The least you can do is keep your hands to yourselves." MK saluted the redhead, "Yes, sir! No touching being done here!" Wukong's face was set into a frown as his blank eyes scanned over the large home.

They were all seated at the dining table as Red Son hummed, "What are you here for?"

Tang adjusted his glasses, "Your father has something we need in order to get rid of the Lady Bone Demon. We're here to talk to your parents." Loud footsteps suddenly neared them, causing them and the furniture to jump into the air.

"...I was not aware we had guests."

Wukong tilted his head up, facing the bull's general direction, "Demon Bull King. We need something from you." The bull sat, leaning back against his seat and attempting to look the monkey in the eye, "And what, do tell, would that be?" Princess Iron Fan appeared by her husband's side, staring at the monkey as well.

"Your ring of the Samadhi Fire."

The bull stood, "Absolutely not! You know how disastrous that flame was!" Wukong snarled, standing as well, "Oh? That's why we need it! Otherwise there won't be a world! We will be done for if--" PIF huffed, "We said no, simian. You may not have our ring of Samadhi."

The air was buzzing with tension, making the atmosphere terribly stuffy as everyone else tried to stay down.

Wukong smirked suddenly, "You owe me a favor." DBK bristled, "I owe no such thing." The monkey hummed, "Of course you do! I never killed you or your family. But you have!" DBK stared silently, forming his words carefully, "...That... That was not done on purpose."

Wukong slammed his hands against the table, seething, "NONSENSE. We told you to turn away! We warned you of Heaven's plans to kill you themselves! Macaque's blood is on your hands."

Silence.

MK awkwardly nudged his mentor, giving him a questioning look. Wukong was trembling, doing his best not to straight-up throw the table.

"...I can't give you my ring. I'm sorry."

Wukong huffed a laugh, his voice shaking with shielded hurt and anger, "That...That is a load of shit." He pushed back his seat, storming away.

---

Macaque trembled, staring at his shadow portal.

He needed to check in on the group, and on Wukong. He needed to apologize and reassure his king that he was alright. But he couldn't.

They were in the home of his killer, someone who was once an old friend.

A brother.

Macaque just... couldn't go in. So he'd have to wait out their visit. He felt useless, shivering from both the cold in his veins and the memories leading to his death. They'd been victorious, but both he and Wukong had lost each other.