14- A Moon And Two Rings

Chang'e reminded Wukong of himself, before MK came into his life.

Before Macaque made it back into the mortal realm.

She was alone, wishing to see her lover at least one more time. She could see him every Mid-Autumn Festival, yes, but the wait pained her. And to keep her from collapsing into her sorrow, like Wukong had done to keep himself afloat, she'd found something to keep her up and running.

While he had simply continued being a hero without his staff, Chang'e had taken to running a cooking show and selling mooncakes.

She was ecstatic when they'd arrived through a portal in the shadows beneath her trees. "MK the Monkie Kid, Pigsy who won this year's Food Wars, Monkey King, and the Six-Eared Macaque! Hello! Uh, welcome!" She snapped pictures, not that Wukong could see them.

Though that didn't stop him from trying to pose as Pigsy ranted about how cool this was.

"So! What brings you here?" MK stepped forward, "Uhm, do you have a ring? Kinda looks like this?" Wukong assumes the blob being presented is his elder brother's ring of Samadhi.

Chang'e laughed, "Yes, actually! Come right this way!"

Pigsy and her chatted as they walked, Macaque making sure Wukong didn't get distracted by the bunnies. After all, their figures were large enough for the monkey to realize the heart-like blobs were bunnies. And he liked bunnies.

They were cute, sue him.

Macaque casually spoke up, "So, I need to get my magic back in order so we can go back down to Earth. Oh no, guess we'll just have to stay a little longer, Chang'e." The moon goddess gasped in joy, "Oh, my! I guess we'll just have to have some fun!"

---

Wukong ate his mooncakes slowly.

They had to leave soon. But was Chang'e going to be okay?

The king wrapped a hand around the raven-haired woman's skirt, "Chang'e? Can we talk?" Macaque hummed, "Don't take too long, we have to go soon." The pair moved, and Wukong assumed they were out of earshot once the goddess spoke, "What's up?"

"...Will you be okay?"

He bashfully ran a hand through his curls, "Uh, I mean...I know how you feel. I was lucky enough to gain some friends and Macaque once again. But...you'll be up here. And it's lonely, isn't it?"

"...Yeah. But I'll be okay. I just-- I'll miss the company, I suppose." Her voice was soft, and he could make out the grief in her voice. Wukong frowned, "Maybe...Listen, please give MK your number. Invite us for a sleepover sometime after we save the world. I promise we'll come."

The smell of tears joined the raspberry and mooncake sent he'd come to associate with the goddess. He reached out, clumsily wrapping her into a hug, "I know, I know... I'm sorry."

He meant it.

---

Chang'e waved goodbye as they stepped through the shadows, a small smile on her face.

She wasn't okay with being alone once more, but she knew better than to keep them here for long. She looked down at the world beneath her and allowed tears to freely fall as she watched them reappear on an airship. They were so close, yet so far away...

The goddess sat down, smiling softly as the team enjoyed their mooncakes. The fire warmed them, and she wished she could be there, too.

She then frowned at the ice spreading across their beloved country, bit by bit, chasing after the heroes.