𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

peonies, sunflowers, and tulips

❝Now don't you look precious

Looking like you just stepped out 

of Essence magazine.❞

Settling onto the tan, leather couch, Erica's eyes fluttered about the spacious, yet cozy office. From the moment she had sat down, she felt as if she had been washed over with a calming, inviting presence, the sensation of warmth seeming to ooze from the four walls surrounding her. It soothed Erica's nerves, and the uneasiness that seemed to churn in her stomach as sipped peppermint tea from the black, porcelain mug clasped in her hands.

It was funny, even after a few years of sporadic, random visits, she could never quite shake the fidgety, antsy feeling sitting on this couch filled her with. It was like doing that first interview for a new job all over again - and knowing you didn't quite answer that last question right.

Warm sunlight poured in from the windows, bathing the room in a soft, pale yellow glow. Green, vibrant plants were placed about the room, a cluster of tall, brown potted plants taking up space on the floor in front of the large window. Fresh air wafted in, and it filled the room with the sweet scent of pastries and other sweets from the bakery across the street, while cars raced against the asphalt. She could hear the faint sounds of chatter as people walked past the window outside, Erica able to make out bits and pieces of random conversations.

Erica laughed - nervously, but genuinely, the sound almost erupting from her throat. "I don't feel like it," she said, glancing over her shoulder as Raven closed the door to her office, Tom Ford high heels clicking against the wood floor beneath their feet. "I feel like a balloon."

Briefly fluffing out the pillow behind Erica's back before sitting down, Raven eased into the matching leather seat across from her, pushing silver rimmed, cat eye glasses up on her nose. Her eyes confidently met Erica's, "If it makes you feel any better, when I was pregnant you couldn't pay me to leave the house," she snickered, taking a sip from her coffee cup, "I hope you didn't drive. Imma have a few choice words for that fiancé of yours if you did."

"Oh no, no," Erica waved her hand in front of her, "He dropped me off so he could pick up a few things while I'm here."

Nodding, Raven crossed her legs one over the other, sitting poised and proper in her seat. High cheekbones accentuated her white, million dollar smile, while the sun's rays highlighted the off-black tresses that fell along her shoulders. Raven radiated an aura that matched the decor of her office, one that slyly eased Erica's nerves, almost as if she could sense them lingering in between their conversation. She had a way with her words - small talk with her feeling nothing but personal, just like you were catching up with a friend on the phone.

"Well, I won't lie and say that I'm not happy to see you sitting here. I'm glad you've been keeping up with your appointments."

Erica exhaled deeply, "After everything that's happened this past year and a half - I'm happy I'm here, too. I thought I was going crazy."

"I'm glad you're here too," Raven smiled at her, "You're glowing. You seem to be in a better place - way better than when we first started. Are you happy?"

Erica knew Raven probably didn't mean for such an innocent question to seem so loaded - or maybe she did - either way, it made her think deeply over all the changes and phases she had seemingly gone through. It felt like such a blur, almost as if it happened to someone else.

At times, she wasn't sure if she was going to be able to make it out on the other side, but she did - not without a few bruises and scratches along the way. For a long time, she had been unhappy, deeply unhappy - feeling as if a nasty raincloud hung over her head, drowning out whatever happiness she thought she could have. She had slipped into old habits, old vices in an attempt to soothe the pain she was feeling, battling with her feelings of loneliness and self-isolation, self-loathing.

Back then, Erica wouldn't have known how to answer that question - but now, she finally had a solid answer. An answer she actually believed, deep down.

"Yeah, I am."