Chapter Eleven: The Devil Down Below

True to his word, Benny left before the sun, and most of the sailors, were up. He would need the time to be able to find her- there was no telling where she might be at any given moment. He just hoped that 'where she might be' wasn't halfway around the world. He couldn't swim that fast.

Luck was with him though, as he found her before the sun had set. Seemed she'd found some ships to harass. "Kitty!" he cheered, gaining her attention.

"Benny?!"

"Boy am I glad to see you!" He swam up alongside her, grinning. "Who are you pestering this time?"

"Oh, it's that jerk captain that's been harassing you guys so much-"

"Oh no," Benny wheezed, and started cackling. "Okay, Kitty? I know this is going to sound strange but I need you to play nice with the jerk captain, he's on our side. For a while, at any rate."

"Ohh, okay," she relented with a pout. Overhead, the waters calmed once more. "So what changed?"

He told her the story of everything that had happened within the past week. She was shocked when said 'jerk captain' was revealed to be a siren, and appropriately enraged when Benny told her what the Scalans had done to the Sea Cow. "And I thought Callaghan was a jerk," she growled. "But I guess his strict adherence to law has worked in your favor all this time. At least he's never just outright tried to kill you!"

"Yeah," Benny sighed. "I want to trust that Emmet will come through, but as much as I hate to admit it, Bruce is right. There's no guarantee Callaghan will let us go again when this is over, if we don't agree to Emmet's proposal." He gave her the biggest puppy eyes he could manage. "So will you help us?"

"Oh, would you stop that," she giggled. "You don't have to pull the puppy face on me, Benny! You're my friends, of course I'll help you!"

"Yes!" Benny cheered, swimming in a quick loop. "You're the best, Kitty! Wait here, I'm gonna go pester them real quick!" She laughed as he sped off toward the ships.

 "You're the best, Kitty! Wait  here, I'm gonna go pester them real quick!" She laughed as he sped off  toward the ships

The storm vanished as quickly as it came. Cary glared down into the water once it calmed, certain he saw two shapes under it- one of which was somewhat familiar. "Captain Callaghan?" one of the sailors called to him. "Is everything alright?"

"We have company," he murmured. The sailor gave him a confused look, and glanced down at the water as well.

"I don't see anything."

"You will soon enough," he huffed in response. The sailor shrugged and walked away, returning to her duties. Benny surfaced shortly after, once he was certain no one else was looking, and gave the captain a wide grin. 'Can you wait for me?' he mouthed. Cary heaved a sigh and nodded. Benny then proceeded to give him a wink and a mock salute before going under again, flicking his tail fin at them before disappearing entirely.