Chapter Thirteen: Nascence

Introductions went about as well as could be expected. The pirates decided almost immediately they were not fond of Captain Amelia, with her openly disdainful behavior not only toward them but Captains Callaghan as well. "She be one of them anti-mytho sorts, I take it?" Metalbeard muttered once she was out of earshot.

"Yeah," Emmet sighed, sounding the most resigned any of them had ever heard him. "And she especially hates Uncle Cary and Uncle Alastar, she's convinced they sang their way up the ranks."

Benny's eyebrows nearly shot into his hairline. "She seriously thinks Mister By-The-Books Hardass flirted his way to the top? Does she actually know him?"

Emmet shrugged. "Nothing that anyone has ever said to her has changed her mind in all the years I've known her."

"And your father, who apparently considers them his brothers, just... lets her stay."

"Father tries to be fair. And she did earn her rank." Emmet paused for a moment. "And Father knows how to pick his battles." Lucy snickered.

"She better not think she can pull that crap with us, though," she said. "Your father might put up with that, but we won't."

"I'm sure she'll figure that out."

Benny  spent an hour tossing and turning in his bed before finally giving up  on sleep

Benny spent an hour tossing and turning in his bed before finally giving up on sleep. He decided to go for a swim to try to wear himself out, and crept past Emmet, not wanting to wake the prince. A quick search for Kitty showed her to be fast asleep at the bottom of the inlet. Benny heaved a sigh and headed for open water, resigning himself to a lonely swim.

So it came as a surprise when he spotted a familiar pair of wings perched on the rail of the Diligente. Seemed he wasn't the only one unable to sleep. Benny hesitated. He'd sworn to himself he wouldn't let his attraction turn into something more, but damn if it wasn't getting harder and harder to stay away, tamp it down, the more he came to know the Octan captains.

Surely there couldn't be any harm in teasing them, though? Cary especially seemed easy to fluster. And he could really use some company. He grinned to himself and took a mouthful of water, aimed, and spat.

The wings flared up in alarm as Callaghan slid off the railing and spun around, rubbing at the back of their head. "Alright, which one of you was that?" Cary grumped, glaring suspiciously down at the water, and Benny cackled. "Ben. What do you want now?"

"Permission to come aboard, Cap'n?" the pirate teased. "Or don't you have a blanket to spare this time?"

"Oh, for-" Benny fought to stifle a giggle as the siren's face tinted red. "Fine. Wait there." Benny hummed to himself as he waited, rolling onto his back to look up at the stars as minutes passed. Finally there was a small splash as a rope ladder was tossed down, and he made his way over to it. The moment he made it to the top, a pair of pants was thrown at his face.