003. football and surfing

chapter three.
football and surfing
heat waves.

"I just don't get why he cares so much, like the Championships totally get, he's obsessed with me winning but why does he have to be here for my birthday?"

Belly chuckled, "Here's a thought, maybe because it's his youngest' child's 18th birthday. You're going to be an adult!"

Leila collapsed on her bed after shutting her sliding closet door after hanging up the last of her clothes. Belly switched her position to lay in the same starfish position that Leila was, turning so that her feet were hanging off the bed.

"Trust me, he's been treating me like I'm an adult since mom divorced him" Leila cracked a smile.

"Well you're getting further than me, everyone here treats me like a kid."

Leila turned to her in a jokingly hurt manner with a hand on her heart. The two girls could go days even weeks without talking but every time they came back together, it was like nothing had changed.

"Hey! I don't."

"Well besides you everyone else treats me like a kid" Belly sighed sitting up, "I mean the boys can do whatever they want till whatever time and they're not in trouble. But I bet if I go to this bonfire tonight, you guys won't hear from me for the next 3 years."

"Mmm, not true. It's definitely only 1 year."

"Leila! I'm serious."

Leila opened the mini-fridge that she had hidden in the closet. She had saved up some of her money from working at the ice cream shack over at the country club a few years ago and she was able to keep it a secret from her mom who would yell at her to just walk downstairs if she was hungry or thirsty in the middle of the night.

She picked up two Capri-suns that were barely cold because she had just put them in there as she started unpacking. She handed one fruit punch flavor to Belly who thanked her and kept the lemonade flavor for herself.

"Okay, okay, just tell the Moms that instead of watching the movie with them that you are going to come with me to the bonfire. There, case closed."

"Come on, I know you don't want to go with me, aren't you hanging out with some of your surfer friends?"

"How dare you? I always want to hang out with you! And besides, if you want to go out and go to places like the boys then it's nicer to go with friends, I'll introduce you to mine. That way if I'm ever busy with surfing, you'll still have someone to go out with."

"I don't know, maybe next time. I'll just stay home with the moms tonight" Belly stated.

Belly was playing around the panda stuffed animal that they won together at the boardwalk years ago. They named him Snickerdoodle because Leila had a snickerdoodle phase where that was the only sweet treat she would eat and now it's the reason that that's her favorite cookie.