006. a warm welcoming

chapter six.
a warm welcoming
heat waves.

The night after Belly's first date, Belly decided to storm to the beach and inform Leila about what happened

The night after Belly's first date, Belly decided to storm to the beach and inform Leila about what happened. Conrad, Steven, Jeremiah, and Oliver pulled up next to Cameron's car at the drive-in just before she was about to have her first real kiss. She was embarrassed at their behavior but mortified of the argument that she and Conrad had only minutes before she caught Leila and Xavier sharing a kiss at the entrance to the beach.

If you asked Leila, she had no idea how it happened, it just did and she let it. She didn't get the chance to stop and ask herself if she even liked him in that way. They were interrupted by Belly's hurried footsteps which slowed down as she gasped at the two in front of her.

Xavier left almost immediately after, leaving Belly and Leila to spill the gossip on how their nights went. Belly finished with a shocking statement to Leila that she was getting over her crush on Conrad and that it was time to let that fantasy go now that she and Cameron were seemingly going to be a thing.

That was a week ago, and it was now nearing the very end of June and it was Belly's sixteenth birthday meaning that Leila's eighteenth was just around the corner and so was Nationals. If Leila wasn't at the beach, then she was participating in debutante activities or working at the ice cream shop where she was often visited by Steven, Jeremiah, and her brother. She didn't want to admit it but all these responsibilities were starting to catch up to her and her nerves didn't make the situation any better.

At that moment, she was rushing towards the summer house. She was having such a good training session that she forgot that she was told this morning to be back before Belly came down for her breakfast so that they could wish her a happy birthday and exchange gifts. When she glanced at her watch it wasn't even ten-thirty and when she checked again it was a little past eleven-thirty.

When she ran into the house, everyone was in the living room, and Belly's lap was filled with opened gifts. She sighed as she set her bag and board down right outside the back door so that it wouldn't wet the floors.

"I'm so sorry, Belly, I lost track of time" Leila apologized taking a seat next to Belly who waved her off.

"Don't be, you gave me your gifts last night and burst into my room at twelve in the morning with a cupcake" Belly giggled.

"Woah, gifts plural? I thought we were each supposed to only give one" argued Jeremiah.

"Yeah, you normal people are but teenage girls who are best friends always go overboard for birthdays" Leila teased giving Belly a tight hug, "Again, I'm sorry."

"It's cool, seriously, you're still coming with me and Jere to get Taylor right?"

Oliver cut in, "Yeah she is, she's spending the entire day with you guys."

Leila snapped her head in Oliver's direction. He was sitting uncomfortably on the armrest of the chair that Conrad was sitting in, "No, I can't. I can stay for a few hours though."