Chapter 3

Entering I realize that all the commotion is coming from the center of the marketplace. This is where the elders gather. There are five elders from different parts of the settlement, each masters in their own skills like healing, husbandry, and logging. Father likes to claim we are relatives to one of the elders, but he can never remember which one. As I approach I notice the four Ventin that I had met earlier.

"My name is Abak." The Ventin elder started with a touch of his pinky to his forehead, a Ventin greeting. "The Lurani to the southwest have claimed that there is a new Nadartach living in the mountains above their village. This Nadartach is not like any we have seen before. They have asked that some Naur Nadartach from this settlement come and help them catch this new Nadartach." His voice carrying loud and strong through the crowd.

I stared in shock as other settlers mumbled at his request. Asking any Nadartach to leave their settlement is almost unheard of, even most Normteach never leave.

"Why can't the Ventini help the Lurani?" An elder with peppered gray hair asks, staring at Abak.

"You Ventin have heard about this situation so you must have been there." A white haired woman asks, resting her hands on the cane in front of her.

"Why travel here to ask for our help? We are one of the smaller settlements." A third asks. His name is Olivan, Naur Nadartach. He became blind when he was younger but thanks to being Nadartach he has been able to "see" thanks to nature around him. His foggy green eyes stare at Abak waiting for a reply.

A younger Ventin steps forward and greets the elders before speaking. "We tried to help, but this Nadartach kept disappearing before we could catch it." Again the crowd whispers among themselves. Ventini are known to be great bounty hunters. They can sense how many people there are and where thanks to the wind. Nauri can only do that if the person is touching the ground or trees, take them off the ground and it becomes harder.

"So the Ventini have traveled here for how many Nadartach?" Olivan asked.

"We would not ask for you elder." The third Ventin responded. His black hair was short with a few gray hairs showing. "Five would be enough."

The crowd gets loud and rejects the idea. They want five Nadartachi to leave? I start looking around to see if I notice any of the Nadartachi. A notice some mothers leaving with young children knowing they would not be chosen and having no desire to be. Other Nadartachi whisper amongst themselves.

"Are you doubting the Naur?" The white haired woman asks. "Just one would be able to get the job done."

"Even an old blind one could do it." The first elder responded, causing the crowd to laugh.

Abak did not like the response. The wind shifted as he began to speak again. "This is an honest request from a fellow clan that fears they are in danger. The Lurani who live here would feel betrayed if you did not help."

"Why would feel betrayed?" The fourth elder asks sitting up in his chair. He is one of two Lurani on the council, a fact that Abak seems to have overlooked.

"We had heard the rumors but did not request our friends for help as it is a Lurani matter." The other Luran elder states. Her auburn hair was in multiple braids down her back. I smile knowing that she is the Luran Nadartach representative. Her name is Candeen and she comes from a very prominent Nadartach line. Most of her family has moved to other settlements and towns. "You would be wise," Canteen continues, staring at them with her charcoal eyes. "Not to start any trouble here as this settlement is outside of your region." The air begins to feel very hot as Candeen waits for a response.