Chapter 9

I have smelled burning wood before, but this is intense. I look at Storshu and notice he isn't phased by the smell. "How are you ok?" I ask.

"Ventin." He responds. I look at him confused. "I just filter the air before I breathe it."

"Help me." I whisper as the smell gets stronger. I notice Ahorn also struggling a bit. "Think any plants could help?" I ask him.

"I'm searching for semsom but I haven't been able to sense any." He responds. I notice his fingers twitching as he is reaching out to all the plants. I make him stop walking and hold onto his shoulders.

"The two of us should be able to find some." I say and close my eyes focusing on what's around us. The village seems to be burning most of the semsom plants but there are a few growing towards the mountains behind the village. "Can you call them?" I ask Ahorn with my eyes still closed. I can see the plants start to shake as a few seeds fall to the ground. I watch as they roll through the undergrowth and towards the village. I flinch as some of the seeds get stepped on and the connection fades. A few are still rolling towards the entrance of the village, our connection getting stronger.

"Will you two keep moving?" Abak snaps at us causing me to let go of Ahorn. He seems to struggle for a second due to the loss of help but then I sense the seeds coming closer. Ahorn and I both call for the seeds to come, each receiving two. As we continue to walk we both have the seeds grow into miniature versions of the plants. I have mine intertwine around my neck into a choker while Ahorn absorbs small parts of the plant into his nose. Unless a person really looks at his nose they won't notice the plants. This skill I have not learned...or seen lessons in any books. The smell is becoming less noticeable but still strong as we reach the gates.

"You're back already Abak?" A guard asks as we pass.

"We were able to meet some great Nauri Nadartach in Herskled Praie. We will be able to solve this problem quickly." Abak replies with confidence. The guard seems excited about the news.

"How long did you try to help before you came to get us?" I ask Storshu.

"Almost a month. Abak wouldn't give up even when others left. He was able to make a deal with the tribe to get more help." Storshu responds as we make our way to what I believe is the meeting hall.

The inside is dimly lit and smells like smoke. I can sense a few small plants but mostly everything has been burned. At the end of the hall sits three chairs decorated with red and brown faded ribbons and feathers. On each sits an elder, one with brown, one with red, and one with white hair. Each are tanned with different shades of brown eyes, the one with brown hair has a nacemerke on his neck. He sits tall as he looks younger than the other elders who seem more tired and bored with the situation.

"You've come again." The elder with white hair, and only woman, states with a look of displeasure in her eyes.

"We thought you had given up." The last elder states in between coughs. A young child brings him a cup of water.

"I keep my promises." Abak responds

"Unlike the rest of you." The Luran Nadartach responds glaring. Abak clears his throat, the heat must be getting to him.

"We did not mean to take this long, Branam. There were a few missteps along the way." Abak replies trying to keep his voice from cracking as the air gets noticeable warmer.

"He's really intimidating isn't he?" I whisper to Storshu.

"We are here now, Branam." Storshu interrupts breaking Branam's concentration and cooling the air in the room. "We are ready to discuss the plan."

"Almost ready." I interject causing everyone to turn to me. "I mean, I would really like to know more about this new Nadartach and why they're a threat."

"Threat?" Branam asks. "It is no threat, just unknown...what is your name girl?"

Girl? This guy can't be more than 10 years older than me and he calls me a child? "Raydenia" I respond with a smile but I know my eyes look annoyed.
"Are you, Raydenia, the reason for the delays?"

"If I say yes do I get to go back home?" I respond with a serious look. Branam just laughs.

"Are you sure you are Naur? You have spirit like Luran." Branam responds with a big smile.

"100% Naur." I respond "But really, what is going on here?"

"Bring in the food! Let them eat and rest while we catch Raydenia up on our new little Nadartach." Branam suddenly shouts causing everyone in the hall to move about quickly.

Chairs and a table are brought in and we are encouraged to sit around as the cups are filled with water, which is surprisingly cold. Food is quickly...raw...meat is placed on the table. I look around at Storshu with wide eyes. He just shakes his head as suddenly the chicken in front of me is sprinkled with different herbs and spices and then bursts into flames. It takes all my might not to jump out of my seat. I notice Ahorn is having the same fight as me but the fire suddenly disappears leaving an amazing smell and perfectly cooked chicken. Cooked vegetables are scattered across the table and the elders begin to eat.

"Raydenia." Branam starts as he takes a bite of chicken. "This Nadartach first started appearing one night about six months ago. How do we know this?" He pauses.

A little kid raises his hand, "Because the animal pens would be open, animals taken, and footprints were found." He squeaks.

Branam nods. "We all thought it was an animal until we found those footprints. But these footprints were very different."

"Like extra big or extra toe?" Ahorn asks. I stare at him....what kindof question is that?

Branam also gives him a perplexed look. "No....like they would appear and then suddenly be gone and appear 200 feet away. No one can jump that far. No Nadartach can. Ventini would just fly, not leave any footprints. Lurani, the ground would be burnt. Avani, unless they can turn to water and disappear into the ground then no." No Avani has ever been able to do that...and all Avan Nadartachi live near water or else they are super uncomfortable like Nauri and being off the ground.

"Finally we thought it could be a Naur, but Nauri would not let their tracks be seen. So, in conclusion, it is a new Nadartach." Branam states. "We followed the footprints up to the base of the mountains where we lost any trail. Those mountains are uninhabited. No one goes there. Too many people have disappeared in them." I notice the room gets quieter as Branam speaks about the mountains. Even the kids seem to understand how seriously bad those mountains are. We did try to go up the mountains...10 went up 4 came back." Branam sighs. "We sent word to the Avani tribe for help. That is where Abak came in. He and his men came and were able to get halfway to the Nadartach, but it was able to evade them. It would be right in front of them but then suddenly it would be on the other side of the mountain. Didn't matter when we went, day time, night time, it never mattered when. Then we thought about the Nauri again. They would be able to sense this Nadartach no matter where it went. So we asked Abak to find some. That is why you are here."

"But what are we supposed to do when we find it?" Ahorn asks.

Before Abak can answer Branam simply says "Kill it."