Chapter 7

I turn to see a very slender woman probably a few years older than me with gray-blue eyes and black hair pulled into a high ponytail: her pale face is framed by white hair. She wears a light gray wide sleeved dress that almost touches the floor. She carries a wooden tray with what I think is tea. Her eyes look me over before she changes her sight to Storshu.

"You're late." she simply states taking graceful steps towards us.

"We were distracted." Storshu replies keeping eye contact with her before looking down.

I watch as she nods at him before she knocks on the door. "Abak, the tea and your other guests are here." She states before opening the door.

The room is lit by many candles and moonlight. One wall sized window allows the light to shine into the wooden room. White, gray and faded blue fabrics are draped around the room with a low stone table in the center. Abak sits at the head of the table resting on a cushion with what seems to have gems sewed into the fabric. He motions for the lady to place the tea on the table. Storshu and I follow, Storshu sits next to Abak while I take one next to Ahorn...who still doesn't seem to have color back to his face. I see him twirling his fingers around the ivy that he kept around his waist.

"Thank you Gaolet." Abak says to the lady. "It is about time my grandson came. I was afraid he would miss the chance to see his fiance." Gaolet and Storshu glance at each other but say nothing as she continues to set the table. "Storshu lacks the discipline to lead others. How would he be able to lead a family if he can't lead one lost Naur to dinner?"

I look at Storshu in shock. This was his fiance? These two have almost no reaction to each other and what the heck is Abak doing?

"It was my fault Abak. I was excited to see all the new fruit and then was in shock about what was happening to the city." I quickly explain with an ever so innocent face. "Can you really blame me? You know Ahorn and I have never left our home before." Gaolet and Storshu tense up while I speak. Abak slowly looks at me, a hint of rage in his dark blue eyes. "So this is the Ventin district? It looks really old. What kind of food do they serve?" I quickly ask hoping to calm down the situation.

Abak is slightly taken aback by my sudden change in conversation. Gaolet uses his hesitation to stand up and answer a few of my questions. "Pollvann first was settled about 800 years ago as a small Avan fishing village. Due to its' location many travelers passed by which cause the village to grow and expand. The Ventin district was the first area designated to another clan by Pollvann 500 years ago. Pollvann allows Ventini to conduct their own laws within the district for a fee. Any clan is able to go and work in the Ventin district but not live. Only Ventin can stay here."

"Then where will we stay the night?" Ahorn finally speaks.

"As you two are our guests you will be in the room across from us." Abak responds motioning for Gaolet to leave the room.

"Wait both of us?" I ask...Opica will not like this.

"We cannot." Ahorn interjects. This causes Storshu and Abak to give us confused looks. "I'm engaged to her sister."

"We don't allow unmarried and unrelated people of opposite genders to sleep in the same place." I explain.

"If he was married to your sister it would be ok?" Storshu asks. I nod...but thinking about it makes it seems strange...just because Ahorn marries my sister makes it ok for us to sleep in the same room but not when he is only engaged.

"They have no other rooms available." Abak states.

"I can sleep on the floor in your room." Ahorn suggests looking at Storshu.

Before Abak can reject the idea the food comes into the room. The table is set with a mix of vegetables, noodles, and meat which have been placed on colorful dishes. One of our cups is filled with what Storshu calls Coske, a Ventin wine, and the other with water. I'm eyeing up the food but refuse to take the first bite. One, I don't know Ventin customs so I don't know if I can start eating first or if I have to wait. Two, Naur custom is the eldest starts then everyone can, I can tell Ahorn is waiting too. Three...though the food looks good...I don't really trust it.

"You may begin." Storshu says as he picks up some vegetables. Ahorn and I both pick up our utensils and place some of the food on our plates.

"Are you not eating?" I ask Abak. He hasn't made any movement since the food was placed.

"He cannot eat with an unmarried woman." Storshu responds. My eyes go wide. "Ventin tradition."

"So please eat quickly, Raydenia. And no more questions." Abak says as he takes a sip of Coske.

Way to make me feel guilty. I put some more food on my plate so I don't have to get more later and eat as fast as possible. While I'm eating Abak explains that usually those who are married eat with those who are as well unless they are family. If you are single you eat with singles. If it is a big occasion usually women and men are separated for eating. Since we are a small group he wasn't worried about us eating together, but Storshu and I took too long. Next meal I will have to sit by myself.

"You want me to eat alone?" I ask with a mouth full of food.

"It would be easier for everyone." Abak replies

"Or you could eat by yourself. Or even you and Storshu together." I suggest.

"The three of us can make plans quicker without all your questions." Abak calmly answers. His answer makes it hard to swallow. So, I'm just extra baggage on this trip, he was the one who wanted me to go in the first place.

"You can all start making plans then." I respond putting my utensils down and chugging the Coske, which tastes like lavender. "Where's my room?" Abak gives me a strange look. "You three can sleep together. This way you can make even more plans." I finish.

Storshu hands me a metal disk about the size of my palm. I leave the room feeling a little buzzed. I show the disk to one of the staff in the hallway who leads me up two flights of stairs and down a hallway. He opens a dark brown door and lights a candle inside. The candle is not needed, the moonlight brightens up the place...even though it is a little wavy due to the water above the city. The room is small, a small table and floor cushions in the center with a wall divider dividing the bedroom. The bed is low to the ground with black silk sheets and white comforter on top. With my head spinning I search for the rest room which ends up being next to the entrance way. A small stone room welcomes me as I open the creaky door. A hole is the toilet and a large bucket of water serves as the sink/tub/shower. I take the water and wash my face, arms, legs, and feet before staggering to the bed. As much as I don't want to admit it, the bed is super nice. I remove the ivy from my wrist and watch it grow to wrap around the bed. I don't know when I fell asleep but it was the best sleep I've had in a long time.