Chapter 6

"You kindof forgot to mention that the city gets surrounded by water." I state staring at Abak. "First you take two Naur and fly them around, now you want us to be surrounded by water?"

"How else did you think Avani protected their cities?" Abak asks giving me a confused look.

"Like any other place. Just shut the gates and have people on lookout." I respond. Abak laughs as the line continues to move. Ahorn gives me an uneasy look. He still isn't doing well since our little flight and now being told that we will be surrounded by water is not helping him. Our turn in line comes quickly as we approach a guard in front of the entrance.

"We are on a mission from the Luran tribe to the southwest of here. We traveled to Herskled Praie for help and are staying for one night." Abak states handing the guard his papers.

"Are you sure the Nauri will be ok?" The guard asks looking Ahorn up and down. I just smile trying to show that we will be ok.

"They are just in shock at Pollvann. They never left their settlement before." Storshu chimes in. The guard chuckles at this as he waves us through.

"So...that was a bit rude." I state.

"What was?" Storshu asks.

"Why did he laugh at us?"
"Many people are nervous when they come to Pollvann. He is probably just laughing at how you two have been looking around the city."

"Why would they laugh....at...that...?" I can barely finish my sentence as we enter the main square. There are so many people and colors around us that I stop walking altogether.

Ahorn stops next to me as well staring at everything. "Yeah we are not in Herskled Praie anymore." I nod in agreement.

"You two stop staring and quickly follow." Abak commands snapping the both of us back to reality. I notice Storshu smiling as he gently guides us. We follow Abak through a crowd of people. I notice that everyone is from all over Beonia, a majority being Avan but a good mix of the other tribes are here too.

"Is there a way we could get something to eat first?" Ahorn asks Abak.

"We will be eating at our accommodation." Abak states without stopping.

"And that is where?" I whisper under my breath. This guy really doesn't explain anything to us.

"We are going to the Ventini district." Storshu replies. "He doesn't like staying in other places unless he can stay with other Ventini."

"Isn't that a little..." Before I can finish my sentence I walk into someone and fall to the ground.

"Oh no I'm so sorry!" A concerned but cheerful voice remarks. Suddenly strong arms are lifting me up. "Are you ok?" I look up to see a pair of bright green eyes staring back at me as the girl brushes off my clothes. "I didn't see you."

"I walked into you. You don't need to apologize." I respond getting her to stop brushing me off. Storshu stands to my side motioning to the girl to step back a little.

"Oh thank you for understanding." she responds bowing her head.

"For a young girl you are stronger than you look." Storshu states picking up my knapsack.

"Oh not really. I'm only good at lifting things." she states before turning away.

"That was...random." I say rubbing my arm. "She was looking for something wasn't she?"

Storshu stares. "You knew she was a pickpocket?"

"Yep. While she was brushing me off I could tell. She kept looking for pockets." None of my clothes have them. "I also don't carry anything that she would want...except the sandals in my knapsack which you so quickly rescued." I state, accepting my knapsack back from him.

"We should keep walking. Abak will notice soon that we aren't following." I nod in agreement.

"You know what place he is going to, right?" Storshu nods his head. "Then we don't need to rush."

"After what just happened? Yes, we do. She may have been part of a gang targeting visitors."

"You're worried?"

"No...just cautious." Isn't that the same thing?

"Abak will just have to wait. He is the one who volunteered me, and I have never been outside of Herskled Praie before. I respond walking towards a fruit stand. The lady was welcoming and gave samples of some fruit from up north. One tasted sweet and creamy, the other gave off a strong smell but tasted like candy. She said these were common of the Lurani tribes up north towards the Tinlyned Faken. Those northern tribes live on the border between Beonia and the Others. The desert makes any travel further north difficult. I actually have never heard of anyone from the tribes making it across. Many years ago there were some Others who made it across...but their injuries and burns didn't let them survive long. It was confirmation enough though for the tribes to realize that there are Others out there and forbid travel through the desert.

"Raydina we should go now." Storshu nervously states as I walk towards a third stall. "Abak is going to notice now and he has little patience."

"But this is so fun. Look at all this stuff." I respond motioning to the stalls lining the street.

"The Ventin district also has a lot of stalls. Many things there you have not seen before either."

"You're that scared of him aren't you?" I ask noticing the desperation in his voice. "You can't let him control you forever."

"It isn't control...it's respect. He's the oldest relative of our family clan. What he says goes."

"Even if it makes your life miserable and keeps you from the person you love?" I respond as he leads me towards the east of the market and down some alleys. Suddenly the ground shakes. I steady myself against the walls lining the alley as a shadow forms overhead.

"What the hell?" I ask as a huge wave appears over the city. This is it. This is how I die. In some city without really experiencing life isn't it? I look over at Storshu who is busy dusting himself off after falling to the ground during the shake. He looks up and then just turns and continues walking.

"You'd better keep up. We are extremely late and Abak will not be happy about it." Storshu states not minding the wave that is looming towards and above the city.

"We're gonna die so why does that mater?" I ask.

Storshu turns and gives me a confused look. I point at the wave. "The city doesn't just get surrounded by water at night, it goes under."

"We are not Avan Nardatachi! We are gonna drown." I respond. Is this guy for real? How can he just calmly accept his death?

"Do you really think they would allow other tribes into their city if they didn't have ways to provide for everyone?" Storshu questions as he grabs my arm to make me start walking again. I give him a confused look. "There are Pusteath stones embedded into all the buildings and on the highest ones there are Boljold gems. The first creates clean air for all and the others create a barrier around the city preventing it from being crushed by the water. The Avani know how to protect their cities and their people. They can't all breathe in the water so they had to help their families somehow. Luckily some Nauri were able to show them these stones and the Avani were able to provide for their families. In return they built Pollvann as a way to shield those who need protection while traveling."

"Do all Avani use those stones?" I ask

"Most do. Aren't you taught about these things?"

"I went to one day of class for Nardatachi but I don't think any of them are taught this. Ahorn looked just as shocked as I was when we came here." Storshu nods in agreement as we walk into an old but majestic looking wooden building. I notice some old Beonia written on the entrance way but I'm soon overpowered by the smell of food as the doors open.

"Welcome to the best and oldest inn in the Ventin district." Storshu whispers as we pass by filled tables and head towards a room in the back.

"Abak's been waiting." a sharp feminine voice states before we can open the door. "And he is not in a good mood."