Chapter 10

"Kill what?" I ask not believing what I just heard.

"Kill the Nadartach. It's too much of a problem." Branam states as he continues to eat. "We've lost too many people to that thing." 

I stare wide eyed and look at Storshu. "Did you know this?" I ask. He turns his head hiding a guilty look. "You did!" I look at Ahorn. "Did you?" Guiltily he nods his head.

"We just didn't tell you." Abak tells me with no emotion. "I knew you would react this way. Most girls do and since you had never left your village before I knew this would be difficult for you to accept."

"You chose...no you forced me to come on this little quest. I didn't want to. You paid my father to make me come." I respond gritting my teeth as a small tremor releases from my seat rattling the table. 

"Mainly to test a theory." Abak bluntly states.

"A theory?!" I respond with disbelief causing the tremors to gradually get stronger.

"Raydenia!" Branam shouts causing me to come to my senses.

I take a deep breath and continue. "What theory?" I ask

"This Nadartach hides from those who it views as a threat but tends to help others." Abak explains.

"What do you mean?" Abak nods at Branam

"This Nadartach saved my daughter." He responds with no emotions.

"And yet you still want it dead?" I ask with disbelief.

"We will catch it first and try to reason with it." Storshu interjects reaching for my hand. I lean away from his reach.

"So I'm going to be bait?" everyone nods.

"You're just gonna have to hide in the mountains for a few days." Ahorn tells me.

"Ahorn here will be able to sense you so that way we know you're ok." Storshu tries to reassure me.

"You all are crazy." I respond standing up.

"Raydenia. If you leave I will consider the theory starting and will begin to play my part." Branam states watching me.

"What's your part?" I ask rolling my eyes.

"I am the threat that makes you what it wants to help." He replies in a deadly tone.

"What?" I stutter as he stands from the table. He motions for others to clean everything up. Within a few seconds the table, food, and chairs are all gone. My knapsack is filled with some food and a canteen of water is handed to me.

"When you leave this hall, turn right and head towards the mountains. There is a small gate which leads to the backwoods. If you turn left I will not hesitate to burn you." Branam states as he walks towards me. "We thank you so much for all that you are willing to do to help us." He finishes patting me on my shoulder. "You have 10 seconds. This is when you run." He finishes.

I panic and bolt out of there. I hear Banam chuckle as Ahorn and Storshu argue with Abak for a bit. Exiting the hall I pause thinking to run left and go to the main gate when a blast of hot air flies by my face.  A few feet in front of me lands a fireball. "Ok not left." I whisper and turn right. I hear voices approaching as my pace quickens. I look behind me to see a small group of four people following with Branam in the lead. He throws fire right at my heels causing me to run faster. "This guy is crazy." I mutter running closer to the small gate. Feeling the woods I call for the thorns to shoot around me. I aim for their legs and feet so that way no one is seriously hurt.

I hear Branam chuckle as others cry out in pain. "Keep running little one! We will find you!"

I sprint deeper into the woods. It's late afternoon so I need to find a place that's far enough from Mr. Crazy but close enough to shelter and supplies. The mountains would probably have caves in them but I doubt I would reach any in time. I run for a few more minutes controlling the trees to hide my path and open other ways to make it seem like I had gone different directions. Finally I collapse in a small clearing of ferns and I just allow them to cover me. "What is going on?" I ask myself thinking back to everything that has happened. This Nadartach can't be that bad. It saved Branam's kid, but he wants it dead? There's more to this story.

I jolt up when I feel a vine wrap around my ankle. "Ahorn!" I shout and the vine lets go. I watch as vines twist and intertwine to form a similar form of Ahorn. I have not learned how to do this...secretly this is awesome.

"Are you ok?" 'Ahorn' asks

"Do I look ok?" I reply "I was just chased out of the village into the woods all because you all want me to be bait!" I shout forcing the vines to squeeze together making it look like his eyes will pop out.

"Don't take it out on the vines."

"Then come out here for real and let me take it out on you."

"Abak says just do what we say and things will be over quickly."

"You really think I'm just gonna let you all kill someone?" I ask shocked.

"You don't really have a choice." Ahorn says with a slight smile. With that I take control of the vines from Ahorn and have them all break apart. Having him here is super annoying. I decide to move again not wanting Ahorn to tell the others where I am. Turning in the direction of the mountains I start walking again. I keep my eyes closed so I can practice 'seeing' the woods. Olivan uses this all the time but most Naur Nadaratchi don't since they haven't had the need to. My steps are slow and shaky as my 'sight' is blurry. After a few moments my 'sight' gets clearer and my pace quickens.  Slowly I notice different 'trails' through the forest, one that seems to be used a lot by someone to go up the mountain. I follow the 'trail' and wind up the mountain for a few moments before it disappears. I open my eyes to realize I'm standing in the mouth of a cave that had been hidden by some plants. When I had crossed over there were no plants which caused my 'sight' to vanish.

"Well...guess this will have to do for the night." I say to myself. I sit down and pull out some bread that was shoved into my knapsack. I stare into the cave wondering if I should explore it more but ignore the idea. That is until I hear voices outside the cave.