Chapter Nineteen: Divine Errands

Gone in a flash and back.

Kiyone moved through the waves of dreams, more aware of them now than ever before. The last year or so had seen her know herself better than before. Her power was greater now, her strength growing. She felt her will drawing herself along a path, though she wondered if it was hers. Or was she being drawn by the choice of something greater than herself?

Was she but an extension of it? And if she was just an extension of it, were there other extensions? Other Kiyoras who were part of a greater Kiyora? Was it even Kiyora?

Did it matter?

Who cared.

She had letters to deliver.

"This is not how I wanted to spend my day," said Kiyora. "Fayn looks nice, though. Silver hair and red eyes are a nice combo.

"I guess it's essential. Hey, are you the High King?"

The High King had no crown if she was the High King. She wore white garbs and a long tunic that reached beneath her knees. Her leggings were brown, and she was sitting at a table. Her hair was gold, and the bangs were cut flat over her forehead, flowing behind her head. Her eyes were blue, and she blinked in surprise.

Vanion was across the table from the High King, hands clasped together.

"What is this?" asked another man, with a black beard neatly trimmed around his chin. "Who are you?" Kiyora thought she should know him.

"I'm Kiyora Yagos, the Dreaming Goddess. I work most shifts as long as I'm asleep," said Kiyora. "I've got a message for the High King. Is she here?"

"First, I would like to know how you got past the guards," said a soft voice from  a man with a balding head and narrow face. He wore a black garb of silk. "And all the wards. And everything else we set up."

"Oh, I don't have limitations when I'm dreaming," said Kiyora. "I appear where I want. With limitations."

"What is this..." began the man.

"Forgive the girl, Duke Marn," laughed Vanion. "I can vouch for her. Kiyora is who she says she is; she has been an honored guest in my house many times."

"Duke Vanion, sorry for barging in like this," said Kiyora.

"You might apologize to the High King Kiyora; we're in the middle of a meeting," said Vanion. "No doubt you've already met Letan Marn?"

Kiyora looked to Marn in surprise and was at a complete loss. He seemed out of place here. "I... don't think I've been introduced."

"My family had a long association with one of your avatars," said Letan quickly. "Not this one, but I suppose this is a first meeting."

"Nice to meet you," said Kiyora. "Then she turned and noticed a beautiful, dark-haired, elven woman at the table, clad in white. "And you're from the Dreamer Empire. What is Alchara doing out here anyway?"

"My name is Lady Uno Funas, Kiyora," said the woman respectfully. "Your Grandmother spoke to me of you at length. She is a mentor of mine and was always very impressed by how you handled yourself."

Kiyora blinked as she remembered the stereotype she'd met in her home. Right before she had gone into her dreams to escape her. She had not thought of her grandmother in some time. "Are we talking about the same grandmother?"

"Yes, we are," said Uno. "However, this does not seem a good place to discuss things."

"Excuse me, as a point of fact, I am the High King," said the High King. "You want to talk to me?"