Wattpad Original

Ch 2: A Phone Call Home

"Will this spare kitchen work as a lab space?" the leader asked, opening the door of an old mobile trailer, revealing it had been renovated to create one large room with stainless-steel counters along every wall and a couple of sinks. The only other objects were two stools, which Nicky was already frowning at.

Nina walked inside. "This should work perfectly, Rory. Please let me know if I use too much electricity. Most of these machines weren't designed for power efficiency."

The older man shrugged. "We have a water wheel in the canal. It's slow, but we aren't limited to the aging solar panels. If you choose to run your truck to generate additional power, feel free to do so, but please collect wood outside our usual areas."

We finished a quick tour of the Stronghold and were shown to our "guesthouse". The large mobile trailer only had three bedrooms, but each one contained four bunk beds.

Rory pointed out a few places to go if we needed various supplies and then went to make sure all the guards and sentries knew we had three friends still outside the fence. That left the grand task of packing all of the science stuff into Nina's new lab.

After far too many trips, the lab's counters were full of delicate equipment, labeled boxes were stacked in the cupboards, and more boxes sat under the counters. Daniel was currently easing a massive machine through the double doors. Logan pushed a few boxes farther away, allowing Daniel to set it down.

It was way too crowded in here. I took the opportunity to slip past Daniel and go outside. I glanced at the fence, although there were no zombies near it. In the distance, horseback riders trotted along on their various patrols, occasionally luring a zombie into the narrow canal whose vertical sides kept most zombies from climbing out.

The fields and pastures around here didn't need nearly as much irrigation as Graydon's had. Trees and shrubs grew wherever the ground wasn't tended.

Several hundred sheep were grazing on a distant hillside, and a herd of about fifty red cattle was in a different pasture. I'd already seen several wild rabbits and smelled coyotes, foxes, and various other mid-sized animals. I was looking forward to tonight's hunt.

Nicky also slipped out of the trailer-turned-lab. "Did you see any unattended lawn chairs? We need one beside the door because there isn't enough room inside, and I'm not sitting on that stool for hours on end."

"We can always ask around. Or get Daniel to bring the rocking chair over from our guesthouse."

"Okay, I'm in favor of that."

Daniel leaned out the door. "Is there a quarter-inch wrench in the back of the truck, by chance?"

"Possibly," I replied, trying to recall if I still had an entire set of wrenches among my one-directional boomerangs or if it was one of the ones I had lost along the way.

Nicky was already jogging toward the truck. I trailed behind as she hoisted herself over the sides and dug around in the gap between the mattress and the side of the truck.

Within three seconds, she proudly brandished a wrench in the air. "Found it!"

Her speed was uncanny. There were at least fifty wrenches and hammers hidden beside the mattress—had she really memorized what each one was and where it was located?

Daniel glanced at me, the same question mirrored on his face. I shrugged and held a hand toward Nicky, who tossed the piece of metal to me. I got the luxury of throwing it at Daniel, who easily caught it midair.

"Thanks." He disappeared back inside.

Nicky jumped out of the truck. "Since Daniel is supervising Nina, our presence isn't required. Let's go see if we can commandeer the radio tower!"