Wattpad Original

Ch 40: Revisiting The Cure

I slammed the pickaxe into the dirt again, yanking a clump free and kicking it behind me. I jumped out of the trench to check the area. Other than two regular zombies and an unranked one, the night had been quiet so far.

Regan hadn't been interested in a wrestling match tonight and was alternating between digging the trench and patrolling. I hadn't seen hide nor hair of Daniel or Ethan since the sun had set. I put on my sunglasses as I scanned the area around the fence.

A dim light shone through the lab windows, brightest near the table and chairs. Nina had given Ethan a journal written by a sane Runner, so perhaps he was finding some answers by reading about another's experience.

My instincts stirred, and I removed my glasses as I examined the tree line again. Everything looked quiet, but I was certain something was amiss. Most of the insects in one area had stopped calling.

Taking the pickaxe with me, I slipped into the southern forest. I crossed a scent trail near the tree line, and my lips pulled back at the muddled Runner-like scent. I took off after the interloper.

The crashing in the underbrush let me locate the woman stumbling around. I turned on a flashlight so she could see me. She sent a faint growl in my direction and kept going.

I stared in surprise. I wasn't upwind, so how did she figure out I was a zombie? I'd never seen a feral Runner this perceptive before, but she definitely wasn't sane. Turning off my flashlight, I ducked into the shadows and pulled my hood up.

When I noisily tromped through the leaves, she gave chase, only to stop shortly after. I turned around and realized the moonlight highlighted my outline. As she stumbled into a shrub, a rabbit took off, and she gave chase, only to blunder into a tree.

She ignored me as I walked closer and checked her scent, which seemed like a typical unranked Runner. Just one that ignored humans. As I knew very well, controlex was almost scentless and impossible to detect in one's scent. Could Trent have found her when he left?

It would explain why she had left the town and roads to wander through the forests in search of prey. So, the good news was that she wouldn't chase after humans, but she would be a threat to the livestock. Unfortunately for some unlucky critter around here, I needed bait to lure her away.

A mouse rustled through some leaves nearby. That was good enough for me. I quickly located the rodent and grabbed it by the scruff of its neck. Its high-pitched squeaks and protests had the zombie stumbling in my direction.

I started to head for the canal but changed my mind. Most of Nina's testing had been on Runners, so this one's arrival was timely. One of the zombies in the cages was about to get a roommate.

It was slow going since the zombie didn't see as well as I did, but we eventually reached the cages. With one hand still holding the protesting mouse, I managed to undo the metal wire twisted around the door.

The unranked Runner caught up just as I opened the door. I shoved the current prisoner back, then pushed the female Runner inside. Bracing the door shut with an elbow, I twisted the wire back up and watched for a minute to make sure she couldn't break out.

Satisfied that she wasn't going anywhere, I headed back to the forest and released the mouse as thanks for its participation.

~

"How are you doing?" I asked Wren as she stopped the dune buggy next to me. She hadn't been outside the trailer the handful of times I swung by lately.

She winced. "Not good. I had to start draining blood into a cup."

That wasn't a good development, but at least she was smart enough to take the precaution. "If you need any help or want any larger animals, just let me know."