Wattpad Original

Ch 32: Triggers Slipping

Of course, Nina wanted to stop at the shipping container since she hadn't gotten the samples she needed earlier this morning.

I shook my head and jumped out of the truck when Daniel stopped beside the oversized tin can. "Jax, mind giving me a lift to the Stronghold to see if they need any help?"

"Sure. I can also do a quick patrol after, just in case another horde is gathering."

"I'll come too!" Nicky said, climbing over the back.

Wren bit her lip. "Um, do you mind riding with Daniel and Nina? Sorry, but human proximity... It's getting harder. The chase kind of put me at my limits. Sorry." She gave Nicky an apologetic look.

Nicky blinked, taken aback momentarily, then nodded and grinned. "Sure. It won't take Nina long, and it'll give me a chance to torment Daniel without Trinity around to box my ears."

"Thanks," Wren murmured, her voice quiet and subdued. Her gaze dropped to her hands as she wrung them together.

Jax started driving as soon as I was on the back. Once we were out of earshot, he asked Wren, "Is something wrong?"

"I-I caught her scent for a second. It wasn't long, but..." She covered her face with her hands. Her voice was muffled. "If it hadn't faded out, I'm not sure what I might have done."

"It's getting harder for me too," Jax quietly admitted.

Wren's voice was barely audible. "If my sense of smell is starting to return, how much longer do I have?"

"We got Nina back," I quietly told them, trying to keep my tone comforting and give her some glimmer of hope. "She has the notes, and I know she won't give up until she finds something that can help you."

"But what if I hurt someone?" Wren asked plaintively, marking this concern as possibly more important to her than losing her mind.

"If Daniel or I are nearby, we'll protect you and them from any slips," I promised. "If it gets too bad, you can stay in the house by the shipping container until we figure things out. There have been a couple of times when I've locked sane Runners in cages until they could get their bloodlust under control. Those occasions were more from them not hunting enough, but it can be a backup plan."

It seemed to reassure her somewhat since she relaxed slightly. "If I lose control, please lock me up. I don't want to hurt anyone."

"We'll keep you safe. Nina was replicating the same serum you originally got. She'll probably know in a couple of days if it's safe to give you a second dose and reverse some of the effects."

The odds weren't likely if it was similar to the other serum, since it affected different triggers in different individuals. Any change in the zombie triggers was a serious thing, especially if the changes weren't lining up with the regular ranks. I didn't mention those details.

"Looks like they're almost done cleaning up," Jax said, changing the topic. "I can help load the zombies onto tin sheets if you want to do a patrol."

"I'd appreciate that," Wren quietly replied.

We stopped not far from where Trent was rolling zombie bodies onto a tin sheet chained to a truck. Jax and I got off, and Wren slid into the driver's seat, giving us a regretful look before driving away.

Trent jogged over. "Is Nina okay?"

"Safe," I said. "She's with Daniel, Logan, and Nicky at the shipping container. Once she gets some blood samples from the unranked ferals, they'll come back. How can we help here?"

The Stronghold vehicles and tractors were each dragging a tin sheet on a chain as they pulled zombies away. We started helping but hadn't even finished loading the next "zombie sleigh" before Daniel drove the truck into the Stronghold. A few minutes later, he reappeared—minus Nina and Logan—to help with the job at hand.