Wattpad Original

Ch 22: Bear Hunt

I jogged to the gate and saw Wren and Jax zipping in circles around a zombie that moved like a Runner. Whenever it started to head toward the humans running to the gates, they distracted it again, but it refused to remain focused on them for long. Regan jumped onto his dirt bike and sped away.

"Why did I even bother coming?" I muttered as I slowed to a walk. It didn't take two Nightstalkers to handle a Runner, but at least it got me out of the Stronghold. Nor did I want to deprive Nina or Daniel of Nicky's presence and take her with me just yet.

The feral chased after Regan, then turned back to the distant humans. Jax jumped out of the dune buggy and half-jogged away with an overexaggerated limp that ironically matched his injured leg.

The feral must have been some sort of unranked variety that targeted the slowest prey, and it promptly chased after Jax. When it had almost caught up, Wren zipped by to let Jax jump onto the back of the dune buggy. The zombie chased it a bit farther before losing interest.

I was halfway across the field by the time Jax finally lured it into a canal. Regan disappeared into the forest to the south, likely on a patrol, leaving the dune buggy duo to zoom over to me.

"Good job," I said. "At least none of the Runners have been smart enough to jump over the canals so far. Most don't pay attention, but some are clever enough."

Wren replied, "One of those showed up yesterday evening. Regan killed it with some sort of half-circle knife thing."

"I was wondering how long it would take him to try out that sickle. Ready to go for a bear hunt?"

"We'd love that," Wren said, her eyes glowing a bit brighter in excitement. "I think I even know what area the bear is in."

As I jumped onto the back, I asked, "Do you have cups?"

Jax held them up as Wren sped toward the northern forest with excitement practically radiating off her. I smirked when I noticed a coil of rope by Jax's feet. I hadn't been inside the Stronghold for long, so they must have immediately gone to find the required items.

When we reached an area with lots of scraggly bushes and fewer trees, Wren gestured at the forest. "It's been hanging around these berry bushes lately."

There were plenty of trails and more than a few piles of berry seeds left behind, but the bear had vacated the area.

"Let's keep going and see if we can find a recent trail."

Wren didn't need any other encouragement as she sped down a trail left by trucks or vans, likely carrying hunters or foragers. If this had been Ironwind, we would have passed at least a few people picking berries by now, but no one had been out here for several days.

I frowned as I realized the locals were being forced to stay close to their protective walls instead of cautiously roaming the forests in search of food. This situation would have to change—and soon—or their food stocks would begin to dwindle. If the unranked couldn't be stopped or diverted, the Stronghold would have no choice but to move. Time was ticking, and there were no clear answers or easy solutions.

We passed plenty of edible plants, mushrooms, and berries in our search for the bear. After going down various trails and even making our own paths in some areas, I lifted my head.

"Stop. It's not far."

Wren hit the brakes so hard the tires skidded in the leaf litter.

I jumped down. "Can you pass me the rope?" When Jax got out of the dune buggy and handed it to me, I said, "Wait here until I call, then come find me."

Even as they nodded, I darted into the undergrowth and followed my nose. I tracked the scent on the drifting air and frowned when I realized it was a female. I kept going, hoping she didn't have young cubs hidden somewhere around here.