Wattpad Original

Ch 31: Mousetraps and Matches

Even as pieces of wood flew through the air and people turned to gawk at the explosion, one figure ran out of a shed, heading for an access gate.

"Let's go!" I shouted at Jax, pointing at the fleeing woman. "It's Nina! Get her out of there, and they won't have any leverage against Daniel! Wren, Logan, grab the truck! Here's the keys!"

I tossed them at Logan as Jax tumbled into the dune buggy. I jumped onto the back, retaining my ability to jump off at any point and leaving the passenger seat open for Nina. Jax had barely grabbed the steering wheel when he slammed his foot onto the gas pedal, sending the dune buggy through the shrubs.

People started shouting and running for the fire hoses and buckets, too distracted to notice the pint-sized vehicle racing toward the other side of their Stronghold. One of the guards pointed to the only person running away from the blaze—Nina. Two started descending the ladder while their companion waved his arms, likely shouting, until they caught the attention of several below, who began to chase after her.

The dune buggy's engine whined as Jax hit its top speed, his eyes locked onto the scientist behind the fence. We weren't even halfway there yet—there was nothing we could do besides watch and hang on as the buggy was bucked around by the uneven ground.

A wall exploded outward as Daniel made his appearance, sliding to a stop just long enough to drop something in the dust. Nicky scrambled to her feet from where Daniel had dropped her, and she raced after Nina.

Daniel charged toward the guard tower at jaw-dropping speed. Almost as if there was an enraged zombie on the loose, the guards decided to scramble back up the ladders, and the other men decided they did not want to chase Nina now that her protector was present.

Shouts and alarm horns pierced the air right as Daniel plowed into the base of the wooden guard tower, making the entire structure shudder.

I looped one arm around the top of the roll bars and grabbed my bow. We weren't close enough for me to hit anything reliably, but the second they got the rifles where I could see them, I'd sure as hell be trying.

The guards were far more concerned about the Terror on a rampage than two women fleeing toward a small access gate several hundred feet away. Daniel didn't stop there; he appeared on the tower and disarmed the guards, flinging rifles and bows away. The guards dropped out of sight as if Daniel had swiped their feet from under them.

Nicky quickly caught up to the scientist who probably hadn't run this fast in decades. They pushed their way through the access gate as Daniel jumped out of the guard tower and darted around a building. Ironically enough, most people were so focused on the fire they hadn't noticed the zombie scaring the guards shitless.

Guards at a different gate finally noticed the dune buggy, pointing and sounding a raider alarm. Anyone outside made a beeline for the gates and safety. A man ran out of a building and raised a musket gun. I drew my bow and let several arrows fly. He saw them coming and took shelter inside a house as they clattered through the fence.

I jumped off the dune buggy as Jax skidded to a stop in front of Nina and Nicky. I jogged to the side, knowing the man would probably shoot at me since I held the only visible ranged weapon.

The second Nina was seated and Nicky clung to the back, I told Jax, "Go!"

He pinned it again, racing back to the shelter of the trees, where a truck with purple and blue swirls had emerged. I continued jogging to the side since a moving target was harder to hit.

Once the dune buggy was a safe distance away, I cupped my hands around my mouth and hollered, "Daniel! They're safe!"

I scanned the buildings for any sign of the Terror as the locals closed their gates and barred them. Not that their actions did much good since the fence by the barn was in tatters and the guard tower had a new tunnel running through it.