12th November 2000

Quiet rustles of papers from eras long past did little to sooth Theo's nerves. The more he learnt about Potter, the angrier he became. Why couldn't the golden boy saviour stay in his box. Potter was supposed to be an arrogant dick, more interested in flaunting his fame and fortune than doing any real good in the world. Instead in the office there was Potter, a quiet enigma. A mystery that he couldn't help but want to solve. The glamours had persisted all week, yet no word of anything different was in the papers. No mention of any daring rescue or other heroic acts, no sob story about an attack by rogue death eaters.

Much to Theo's disgust, he had begun to watch the man closely. In the real world Potter was as he had always been, but down here in the stacks, it was almost like he was a different person entirely.

The peaceful silence was disturbed by the slamming of the archive door. Theo made his way towards the entrance hoping to head off whichever disgruntled ministry employee decided to enter instead of sending a request via memo. He stopped when he heard a familiar voice, hiding between a stack of Alchemy tombs and a selection of cursed sonnets so he wouldn't be noticed

"Harry! Where were you? You were supposed to be in training this morning"

"I'm sorry. I already got a pass from Robards', I needed to work." Potter's voice echoed quietly in reply, the soft footsteps heading towards the entrance where the blood-traitor was.

"That's bullshit." Weasley's raised voice echoed through the room, Theo winced at the harsh sound, so alien to the normal quiet atmosphere.

"I'm holding onto this job by a thread. If I loose this I'm automatically out of Auror training." Even with the large echoey expanse of the archives, Potter's voice could only just be heard. Now Theo thought on it, he didn't think he had heard Potter shout since the war.

"They won't throw you out" Weasley seemed insistent. Theo snorted to himself, the blood-traitor was probably right. Potter could raise the entire ministry and still get nothing more than a small warning.

"I have no NEWTs and am barely holding onto this job. I can't afford to take risks" Potter didn't seem to have the same confidence as Weasley, although Theo was interested to hear his theory about Potter's lack of NEWTs confirmed.

"Exactly, you have no NEWTs, you won't get anywhere except as an Auror" Weasley sneered. Theo rolled his eyes at what was probably the stupidest statement he had ever heard the ginger utter. Potter could walk into any role just by using his name, as evidenced by the fact he was currently training as an Auror with no NEWTs.

"I know that is why I have to make sure I don't loose my job." Potter really had no self confidence. Surely it had to be an act. No one could have achieved what Potter had and not have some idea of their talent, as mediocre as it may be.

"Have another talk with Robard's, The second year exams are just after Christmas. Once you pass them he has to let you off this ridiculous desk duty."

"It's not ridiculous." Potter murmured. Theo thought he could hear hurt in his voice, but that was foolish. Potter had never shown any interest in working here.

"Mate, there is no one here. Stop being a git and grow a pair. Seriously all this self pity is growing old."

"But what if this is what I'm supposed to do." Potter asked, his voice fading. Theo chanced a look over the stack of books and saw them walking to the exit.

"What you are supposed to do is be an auror." Snapped Wealsey spinning round and pinning Harry against an open crate of books. "Now get on up to the DMLE and speak to Robard's before he leaves for the day."

"I need to..." Potter started, glancing over his shoulder towards the pile of scrolls he left on the shelf as Weasley dragged him towards the exit.

"What you need to do is get your job back." Ron snapped. "Oh and Ginny said you owe her a date tonight. You need to meet her at the Speckled Harp at seven."

Potter's reply was cut off by the slamming of the archive doors. Theo slid to the floor, letting go of the breath that he didn't realise he was holding.

That certainly put a new angle on the Golden Trio's relationship. He grinned to himself for a second, imagining the reaction if this got out. It would be the scandal of the decade, and would certainly bring long overdue justice to the Weasels and Granger.

Potter too.

The thought of Potter wiped the grin from Theo's face. The poor bloke seemed miserable, and if what he said was to be believed he actually enjoyed working down here, and wanted to do a good job.

At least Theo now had an answer to why Potter disappeared and reappeared at all hours of the day. If he was still in Auror training he was essentially doing two jobs. No wonder the bastard looked so exhausted all the time. Weasley was right about one thing though, Potter really needed to grow some balls and stand up for himself.