16th February 2001

The Monday after Valentines weekend Potter once again appeared with a thicker than usual glamour, throwing a weak grin at Theo before settling down at his desk. Theo sighed and pulled out the pot of bruise paste he had taken to keeping around (purely to keep Potter in his debt of course) flicking his wand to first cancel the glamours on his co-worker and then to put on the kettle that was sat in the corner of their office.

"Hey!" Potter grumbled half-heartedly as he felt the glamour lift. "You could at least ask."

"I think we got past that point after the third time I healed you." Theo snarked, smiling inwardly that Potter finally felt comfortable enough to voice his opinion. Grabbing Potter by the wrist he pulled him out from behind his desk leaning down so he could better tend to the smaller man's wounds. Noticing the way Potter favoured his right leg, Theo pushed him into his own desk chair, crouching down to tend to the swollen ankle.

Finished with the healing charms for now, Theo perched on his desk, nudging the fresh cup of tea and a few biscuits into Potter's hands smiling slightly when he started eating without complaint. Over the last few weeks Theo had noticed how Potter never actually seemed to eat anything so had taken to leaving food around then actively sharing it when Potter still forgot to eat.

"I found a book in the family library the other day." Theo said conversationally, pushing a few more biscuits in Potters direction in the hope that he would eat a little more. He was far too thin, and Theo suspected that Potter didn't make time for meals at home either.

"Oh?" Potter looked up from his tea, interest sparkling in his green eyes.

"I am unsure as to the content as I cannot read the language, but I believe that you may be able to assist in the translation."

"Nott, I can't" Potter deflated again, his eyes dulling as he stared back into his cup.

"Why not? You seem capable enough."

"I... You know I don't have time." Potter said quietly, "Between work and auror training I barely have enough hours to spend with Ron, Hermione and Ginny. I can't take on any more projects."

"Are you ashamed of working down here?" Theo asked curiously.

"What? No! I love it down here. The work is interesting and its really calm in the stacks." Potter really seemed to believe that, from the way he lit up, some of the passion he had been known for in school finally showing through.

"Then why do you risk throwing it away just to keep up with the training?"

"Its what is expected of me." Potter muttered quietly "I'm not like you, I don't get the luxury of just doing what I want."

"Bullshit." Theo snapped, causing Potter to flinch, "You are an adult. You make your own choices."

"Its not that simple, I..."

"Harry?" A familiar voice rang out from the public entrance to the stacks. Potter gave Theo a startled look and scrambled back to his desk.

Theo groaned to himself as Granger wandered round the corner, completely ignoring the signs to stay by the entrance until an archivist came to assist.

"Oh there you are Harry. Uh, why are you here Nott?" She said, sneering slightly at him.

"I work here." Theo snapped, turning on his heal and marching away. As he rounded the corner, he could just hear Granger asking why Potter was hanging around with the wrong people again. Snorting to himself Theo blocked out the reply.

Potter could go hang for all he cared. What was the point in helping him when he refused to even help himself.

Heading to the temporary desk in section 7, he pulled out his folder of notes on love potions. Maynard had asked for a first draft of his report by the end of next week that he had yet to start.

All his notes seemed to point to the same conclusion. Unfortunately he knew it was not the conclusion that the Wizengamot would want to hear.

Many of the old Lords clung to power through the careful balancing of the status quo. It was unusual for new laws to be passed, especially in regards to the control and use of magic and potions, as it would inevitably upset someone, which could then disrupt the carefully maintained truces many of the old families held with each other.

What Theo would be proposing (a control or outright ban of mood altering potions such as amortentia) would almost certainly upset those whose fortunes lay in the world of potions. That meant many other Lords would not vote for it, even if it went against their own interests.

It was short sighted, but fairly typical of a group of wizards who had let not just one but two Dark Lords turn their politics into genocidal wars. Thankfully, Theo would not be the one to present the report, he only had to write it.