Chapter Ten

Astarion explained his situation to the rest of the group - that yes, he needed blood in order to survive, but no, he was not a true vampire. His master, Cazador Szarr, turned him and kept him as a slave for over two hundred years. 

"What I told you before was true, Tav. I was a magistrate when I was still ... normal." Astarion's charming facade was replaced with burning hatred as he kicked Gandrel's corpse. "However, a group of gur jumped me after one of my rulings. That's how Cazador found me."

"You hshar'lak! The vampire deserves a stake for his deceit," Lae'zel cried out. She started toward Astarion, and he took a few steps back, hands in the air. I ran between them, pressing my back against Astarion's chest to protect him from any incoming injuries. 

"Listen, all of you," I said. "You're upset and I understand, but this was not my story to share with all of you. I'm sure we all have secrets of our own that we don't wish to be known, am I correct?" I looked around at the faces of my comrades. "If I had suspected that any of you were in danger, of course I would have intervened. But I trust Astarion." I reached behind me and took his hand in mine, giving it a squeeze of reassurance. 

"You're right, Tav." Shadowheart sighed. "We all have stories of our own. Perhaps we'll learn to trust each other in time." 

"I myself have a confession," Wyll announced, drawing everyone's attention. "The reason I've been hunting Karlach is because once, long ago, I made a pact with one of Zariel's servants. Mizora is her name. She has hold of me to this day. She's the one who sent me on the hunt for a devil."

"That slimy bitch!" Karlach exclaimed. She placed a hand on Wyll's shoulder. "She's been trying to cut me out of the picture for decades, Wyll. What will be your punishment now, friend? Will it be dangerous for you?" 

Wyll looked to the sky, lost in thought. "I can't say. It won't affect the rest of you, at least I hope not, but some night soon the veil will be lifted, and I'll be dealt my charge." 

"We'll be here for you when that time comes," Shadowheart said. Lae'zel groaned and sheathed her sword.

"Enough of this. I will not kill the vampire spawn. Let us continue." She began walking, with the group shuffling along after her. I smiled watching my companions converse with each other, especially noticing Shadowheart's shy glances at Karlach. Who'd have thought - a cleric of Shar and a war-torn soldier from Hell? Not the most obvious coupling.

I stepped forward but was pulled back by the hand that was interlocked with Astarion's. Once again pressed against his chest, I could smell the dark bergamot and rosemary that lingered on Astarion's skin and clothes. When I looked up, I nearly lost my breath, lost in the moment.
Astarion's hair was illuminated by the sunlight filtering through the trees above us, with flecks of light hitting his pale eyelashes. His gaze was soft as he studied me, a smile tugging at his lips, no doubt laughing at my awed expression. 

"I love when you look at me like that," Astarion murmured, bringing my hands to his chest. 

"I, uh, I'm not sure what you mean. Did you need something? We should follow the group." I licked my lips and tried to look away, but Astarion grabbed my chin and angled my head back.

"I wanted to make sure you were alright. After last night, I mean." He brushed my hair aside and inspected the bruise on my collarbone. "I was rather rough with you, wasn't I? When you collapsed this morning, I knew we had made a mistake. Apologies, my darling, it won't happen again." He kissed the mark then fixed my shirt and hair to hide it again. 
"From now on I'll only feed on those we encounter in battle. Maybe a few snacks along the way, but we are in a forest after all, animals aren't hard to come by." 

"You can use me whenever you need, Astarion," I said. "I'll be just fine." 

He smirked and twirled a lock of my hair around his fingers. "Maybe you enjoy being my little plaything, hmm?" Astarion leaned in close. "I know what you want, Tav. All your desires were made clear when I was lost in that beautiful neck of yours." He placed a kiss along my jawline.

"And what is it that I want?" I asked. The answer was obvious - I wanted him. Astarion. But I would play dumb as long as I could. Getting involved with him was going to be messy.  

Astarion kissed me again, edging closer to my lips. "I won't spell it out for you, pet; you already know the answer. However, next time, I'll have you moaning it loud enough for the rest of camp to hear you." 

I was shocked into silence. Astarion's wicked smile and smoldering eyes were enough to make my insides twist and overheat. He leaned in once more - his lips meeting mine for the first time. I closed my eyes, eagerly leaning into the kiss. It was more passionate than any kiss I'd had in my life. His tongue traced the outline of my mouth and his teeth gently played with my bottom lip. I gripped on to his tunic, pulling him in closer and closer. 

"Hold on, love," Astarion murmured. He pushed us back against a nearby tree, kissing along my jaw and neck while doing this. He then grabbed my thighs and lifted me, pinning me between him and the tree so that I was level with him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and drew his face to mine. We continued the kiss. Promptly. The warmth of his mouth and his expert tongue had me wet and grinding down on him with my aching self. He pressed upward, giving me a feel of the large, and very hard bulge in his trousers. 

"Astarion, I -" 

There was a loud whistle, interrupting me. Astarion and I looked to the sound and saw Karlach, grinning. 

"Shit." Astarion lowered me to the ground but still kept and arm around my waist. 

"I was sent to come find you lovebirds," Karlach shouted. "We're making camp up here. Figured we'd better rest up before we get to the goblins." She began walking away, laughing, and motioning for us to follow. 

Astarion and I found our footing and made our way in that direction. Even though it was a warm and sunny day, I was shivering. Astarion chuckled, a dark and sultry sound that had my core once again aching with need. 

"Tonight. Come and find me if you'd like. I'll be waiting," he said. 

There's no way in Hell I'd miss it.