Chapter Forty-One

In the weeks that followed, Astarion and I fell into a lovely routine, with us waking up next to each other and then eating breakfast together. After a few hours, when I was properly dressed and ready, I walked down to my new shop and painted the day away. Astarion handled business in the castle and maintained order among the servants. Often when I came home, he was still stooped over his desk, deep in thought. 

The ball approached quickly, and in the days leading up to it, I had my final fittings for my gown. It was a beautiful A-frame dress that trailed just slightly behind me as I walked. The dress itself was a deep and regal midnight black, with shining gems sewn into every square inch of fabric. It shimmered like the night sky with every breath I took. Thin straps held up the revealing neckline of my gown and one could easily see the draconic scales that led from my neck down to my chest. I had to admit, I had been self-conscious in the dress the first few times I had tried it on but seeing the finished product had me eager to show it off to my lover - though, I might have been more excited for him to take it off of me. Slipping the straps off of my shoulders, unzipping the back, revealing bare skin ...

I shivered and came back to reality. The lovely men and women of the small shop were still at work, and here I was, daydreaming about tomorrow night's thrills. My cheeks burned crimson. 

"My lady, are you alright?" One of the women asked. 

I nodded quickly. "Yes! Just fine, thank you." 

She smiled and went back to her sewing. 

Astarion had gone through all the work of finding our friends' residences and sending invitations to them all for this ball. Of course, Wyll, the newly appointed Duke Ravengaard, was easy to find, and his loyal Captain of the Guard, Lae'zel, wasn't far either. Gale had started a tremendously successful school for young wizards in Waterdeep and word had traveled fast to Baldur's Gate. Shadowheart and Karlach were harder to track down. They traveled from place to place, searching for infernal iron and a cure for the ticking time-bomb that was Karlach's heart. Halsin had returned to the Grove to reeducate Kahga and the other druids. Invitations were sent to all of the companions, as well as a few of the tieflings. Alfira, the bard, was to be our entertainment for the evening. Even Rolan was willing to leave his tower for a night of frivolous fun. My family would be arriving tonight and the thought made my stomach churn. What would my mother think of me, now that my eyes had gone red and my appetites had changed? Would my sisters accept me or turn away? Astarion assured me that they would love me no matter what, but I wasn't so sure. 

I snuck a peek at myself in the full-length mirror. 

"You look very beautiful, ma'am." An elf man said to me. 

"Thank you." The truth was, I felt like a child playing dress up in her mother's clothes. While I knew that the dress fit perfectly, I couldn't help but feel small and meek. I pulled my red curls atop my head, fashioning it into a bun, humming thoughtfully.  

After the final fitting was complete, I carried the covered gown in my arms all the way back to the castle and oversaw the final preparations for my mother and sisters' arrival. Their rooms would be just down the hall from Astarion's and mine. 

When the evening had come, I waited anxiously by the gates, pacing bath and forth. Eventually, I saw them in the dim torchlight along the street, and I opened the gate, running out to them. 

"Ohh, my darling girl," my mother whispered to the night sky. "Gods bless me. My Tav, my daughter, how I've missed you." 

"I've missed you, mama," I cried into her shoulder. I hugged my tearful sisters, murmuring welcomes in their ears. When I stepped away and smiled at my family, I saw my mother's eyes widen and heard the sharp exhale of my sisters. 

"Your eyes ... you're different - changed somehow." Rafi muttered, taking a step closer while I put distance between us, averting my gaze. 

My mother leered at me. "What are you?"