Chapter 36: Clarity Amidst Complexity: Akane's Dilemma

Aqua sat at the kitchen table, a bowl of cereal untouched before him. His gaze was distant, lost in a sea of thoughts that swirled in his mind. The morning sun streamed through the window, casting a warm glow on his tousled hair. The clatter of dishes and the hum of the refrigerator seemed distant, as if he were in his own world, far away from the breakfast table.

Ruby stumbled into the kitchen, her blonde hair tousled from a night of deep slumber. She yawned and stretched, then noticed her brother Aqua sitting at the table, lost in thought. With a sleepy smile, she greeted him, "Morning, Aqua. What's got you lost in thought today?"

Aqua blinked, snapping out of his reverie as he looked up at Ruby. He returned her sleepy smile and replied, "Morning, Ruby. Nah, nothing serious. Just daydreaming, I guess."

Ruby took a seat across from Aqua, her eyes filled with curiosity. She brushed a strand of her tousled blonde hair behind her ear and leaned forward, her voice filled with concern.

"Really? You've been daydreaming a lot lately," Ruby observed. "Is everything okay, Aqua? You've seemed pretty busy with school, the dating show, and everything else. It's like you're juggling a lot lately."

Aqua appreciated Ruby's concern, and he gave her a reassuring smile. "Thanks, Ruby," he began, "I appreciate you looking out for me. You're right; it's been a bit hectic lately, but I promise everything's okay. Just some thoughts swirling around, nothing too serious. I'm still managing everything just fine."

Ruby couldn't help but feel relieved by Aqua's words. She let out a sigh of relief and a soft smile spread across her face. However, as the seconds passed, a trace of hesitation flickered in her eyes, and she struggled to find the right words to express herself.

Ruby's cheeks flushed with embarrassment as she fumbled for the right words, her gaze momentarily dropping to her cereal bowl. She cleared her throat, her voice betraying her unease. "Um, Aqua," she began hesitantly, "there's something I've been wanting to ask you... about the dating show. Is it... real?"

Aqua was taken aback by Ruby's question, his brows furrowing in confusion. "What do you mean, Ruby?"

Ruby bit her lip, her nervousness evident as she hesitated to speak her mind. She finally mustered the courage to continue, her gaze locking with Aqua's. "Well," she began slowly, "I've noticed you've been spending a lot of time with Akane. And after all these rumours it just made me wonder if there's something more to it."

Aqua met Ruby's gaze with a gentle understanding. He knew that Ruby's concern went beyond just casual curiosity. Taking a deep breath, he decided to be honest with his sister.

"Ruby," he began softly, "I can see why you might be wondering about that. Yes, I am interested in her."

Ruby's eyes widened slightly at Aqua's candid response. She wasn't entirely surprised, given how much time he had been spending with Akane, but hearing it confirmed still made her heart race. She paused for a moment, contemplating her brother's words.

"That's... interesting," Ruby finally replied, a thoughtful expression crossing her face. "Akane must be quite the woman."

Aqua raised an eyebrow, genuinely surprised by Ruby's response. He leaned in a little closer, curiosity piqued, and asked, "What do you mean by that, Ruby?"

Ruby's gaze drifted to the window, her reflection mixing with the early morning light outside. She continued, her voice tinged with introspection, "Well, Aqua, it's just that... I've noticed something. It's not just you; Hiroshi also seems to be drawn to Akane. I mean, they spend a lot of time together too, right?"

Aqua nodded, and Ruby continued, her voice tinged with a hint of jealousy, "I just can't help but wonder what Akane has that's so special to capture both you and Hiroshi's attention like this. It's not like you guys to be so taken by someone."