Ch 2

The cool breeze pushed aside the flakes of familiarity with the world as the group traversed to the shallow parts of the forest. The trees seemed less condensed and thinner compared to the concentrated wilds that came with the unknown. The grass spoke softly as the group traveled quickly to the camp that was beyond the boarder of bramble bushes and the ominous marked trees that intertwined with them. Birds called one another to ogle the odd three; a mysterious female, white coated wolf, and a runt. All out of place figures in their home. But the large blur sat motionless in the trees as he watched the three tread farther away from the border.

"So, what do you like to eat? I like to snack on squirrels." Corwin excitedly started his interrogation into the newest member of the pack. She rode on top of Milori, the eldest out of the three wolves.

"I like eating...birds, like chicken or turkey. I also like eating pork, which is kind of funny that Milori caught a boar," Miloris ears twitched as he listened to the young female. "I also like fruits and other plants, like mangoes, limes, plantains, and okra."

"Ohkrah....what a funny name. What's that? What does it taste like?"

"It's a green fruit that's long and tube like, which ends with a point. It tastes like a grassy green bean. My family actually likes to pickle the ones we grow in the green..." Avery bit her tongue as she thought about the green house. It was her pride and joy that small building, filled with precious memories of escapism.

"Green what? Also what's pickling?"

"Pickling..." Avery's voice trailed off as she thought of the pain staking process she had to sit through. "Pickling is a process used to preserve food. My family used a salt brine but I know others use vinegar."

"Wow! That's so cool! You're saying you can preserve food in watery stuff. I thought you had to dry it out though to make jerky....Liam's jerky." A chill went down Corwins spine.

"You're saying your people have another preservation method for food? How interesting. I haven't heard of something like that though my travels," Milori commented as his mind continued to wonder more about this female whom has powerfully influential knowledge. Though part of him became wary at her scent and mind. "Are you a part of the bird clan by any chance? I know they have extensive knowledge and advanced technology."

"No, I'm human." Avery hummed absently which caused a sudden change in demeanor from the two wolves.

"You're what?" Corwins voice sounded cold. "Don't even joke about that, it's wrong to say that!"

"What?"

"What? What!? What do you mean what? Do you even know what that means!?" Corwin suddenly got aggressive and ancy while Milori's pace slowed. "Don't call yourself such a malicious creature! You're not demon!"

"D-demon? Is that what it means-" Averys voice suddenly became shaky at this sudden change in character. Part of her couldn't help but finish the sentence quietly in the back of her head.

'to you?'

"But...I've been told that my whole life! What am I but that?" Avery couldn't wrap her head around it.

"You're a beastmen! Not a monster..." Corwins tone sounded softer as the second statement past his lips.

"How could they be cruel to you as well?" Milori whispered to himself which Corwin caught and began to soften a bit more.

"It's already a lot to be...now...you're not evil." Corwin muttered to himself.

Milori allowed Avery to slide off his back as she anxiously started to fidget with her hands. Her rump skipped against the ground gently before ethe looked between the two as Milori suddenly turned around to face her. His eyes where serious as their light blue hue starred at her passionately.