Ch 8

When I finally came to my senses Corwin hesitantly released me from his hold. To the side I could see the remains of what held his load of the cargo. It wasn't ripped but the messy tangle of dirtied holds didn't help me feel any better. Some furs and food stored away for the journey rolled on the ground while the bundle of meat remained in its container but just barely.

"Sorry, now we have to clean everything again." I rubbed his arm apologetically and remained unable to look him in the eye. I found myself sitting on his lap and caged in by his long arms. He chuckled before rubbing my face with his.

"It's okay Avery, its easier to clean them then have to treat your injuries if you fell off of me. We can always wash the furs at the village and pack away the food."

My eyes flicked over to his as he lifted his head away. Though I nearly jumped out of my skin when another figure spoke.

"Yes, as long as you are not hurt it is alright. Now we can clean up and continue onwards. It will take till evening to reach the rest stop along this trail." Milori looked between Corwin and I has he walked out from behind a tree. He started using his snout to push the food back into the basket while I started to move to help. Corwin groaned slightly under his breath as I got off which caused my head snap towards him.

"What? Are you in pain?" Corwin dismissed my concern as he stood up suddenly and covered his groin.

"Congratulations-er-Avery." Was all he could muster out before backing away and hiding behind a tree.

"What?"

My face flushed red at his antics while I was trying to understand what he meant. But I couldn't ask Corwin as he continued to back away.

"You have come of age Avery. Congratulations." Milori asserted while giving me a smile. "You are currently in the first stage of it."

"Huh?"

'but my period is still about a week away.' 

"We will get to the village after your cycle is over but do not fret. It will come again next year."

'No...I'm ovulating right now...they can tell!?'

"Uhh..." Panic flooded my mind as I looked at Milori. "I-Im not ready. I don't want to mate with anyone yet! Milori-"

"Calm down. You don't have to right away. You can stay with us until you are ready to leave and be with your mates."

'But if I get my period after this then they are going to start asking questions.'

"Yeah! Y-You can stay with us! I'll protect you!" Corwin cheered with a smile as he stood behind a large boulder that covered his lower half. He gave a reassuring smile as his face was stained red. "I just need to...go to the creak real quick and we can leave."

I stood there mortified as I watched him run off. All I could do was question what else they could smell while helping Milori pick up all the fruit and restack the furs.

'It could be worse, Liam could be yelling at me for stealing his spices and herbs. Wait.'

"Is there a way to neutralize my smell? I mean you did hide ours before we left. There should be a way to hide mine right?"

Milori frowned while looking at me with sympathetic eyes. "We can't get rid of your smell. We can try adding more layers around your skin but it will build up."

I slumped down and pouted as I tried to think of a way to possibly stop walking around as aphrodisiac.

'Never in my life did I think those words would be put together.'