Chapter One

【─── Chapter One 】

【─── Chapter One 】

Suburban Utopia

A lone candle perched atop the mantle above a fireplace, flickering like a dance of flames, casting shadows that seemed to mirror the uncertainty in Serafina's heart.

Despite the grim circumstances, the room was filled with a warm and inviting aroma of bourbon vanilla.

The images on the mantle portrayed a family with wide smiles and joy. Their eyes sparkled with innocence and radiated familial love. Until now, they had been the embodiment of a picture-perfect family, blissfully unaware of the lurking horrors that threatened their suburban existence.

Abruptly, the piercing shriek of a kettle snapped her back to the grim reality of the present. 

The jarring sound brought her back to the reality of her existence - her solitary life as a hunter.

It was a job that she, over many unwavering years, had taken pride in. 

"I'll be out with the tea in a moment!" The shrill voice of Evelyn Turner called out from the kitchen.

"Take your time," Serafina responded back to ease the troubled woman's nerves.

She understood the inherent dangers, the constant risk, and the sacrifices involved in trading the comforts of a white picket fence for a life of motels, monsters, and quick-money schemes from beating grown men at pool and high stakes poker tournaments.

Her roots were deeply entrenched in a family of famed hunters, The Lockhart Legends, renowned for their prowess in hunting the supernatural. Serafina had been meticulously trained by some of the finest hunters to have ever walked the earth, and her own brother, Jeremiah Lockhart, was also a fellow hunter. 

Though, he was more of a recluse and a lone wolf when it came to hunting. They rarely saw each other, only sporadic phone calls every now and then. Sometimes, without warning, he'd pop up randomly.

The man had ESP or something and always knew where she was.

Jeremiah was ten years older than her and though their relationship had been strained over the years, she knew if she ever needed him she could count on him to be there if it meant killing monsters and getting his hands dirty. 

But Serafina rarely called.

And Jeremiah wasn't the coddling type.

Their relationship was complex, marked by distance and the weight of their responsibilities. 

The notion of a normal life had never been a possibility for her, no matter how hard she tried to envision it. Her destiny was woven into the very fabric of this job, and she couldn't picture herself doing anything else.