Divulge Into This Man Know as (Y/N)

"You've been poisoned"

".... So it's a tie"

I chuckle and nod. A pout on her face at the realization of this loss on both sides.

"Hmph! It always ends in a tie or your victory"
I reach my hand out and pat her head for a second before anyone can really notice.
"You still have a long way to go Alice but I can see your improvements. Continue to go on that pace and you'll be more stronger."

She stares at me for a moment, the pout on her face before turning away. I stay quiet noticing the small smile she has before walking away to greet more guests.

Yes, in this little game of ours, being poisoned meant the food or drink consumed was switched for an entirely different one. If the area of the vitals is briefly touched without anyone noticing, a successful assassination. If noticed, it's a certain failure. The poison method is tricky to execute. There's the possibility of simply changing, wrong target, or it was never touched.

I let out a hum.

What she didn't know was that her attempt was a failure. Albeit brief, I caught all three gazes when it happened. Hah… dear me, I don't have the heart to tell her that yet.

-----------------

The rest of the celebration was spent on conversating with prominent figures in society and the guests. Well 'conversating' is a pretty tame wording for it. A 'battle' would suit it more. Everyone with their sharp words attempting to bring down others and curry favor to those who will bring power to them. All for self-interest and few for genuine kindness or friendliness.

Even with the amountous opportunities among every guess, one always stood out as all eyes were on him. The now Duke of Rosenborne, (Y/N) Rosenborne who has various connections and power at his fingertips. The standing between the royalty and his family mouthwatering for power hungry heynas. The Rosenborne's history of being loyal hunting dogs for the Royal family was a well-known fact. A wish would be reality as it is their swore duty.

Up until a few decades ago, the Rosenborne declared to leave behind such a duty… Well to the public they did. Present time, they're known for their undying loyalty and away from prying eyes, they carry out orders received directly from the Royalty. They work behind the scenes and train as assassins or doctor. In exchange for their services, they maintain their family's wealth and power, it is a victory for both sides to relish.

The celebration ended without much talk between the brothers and the Duke. The single thing done was the glances they shot from each other, observing and analyzing any information they could collect. Amongst it all, all had the aim of obtaining the most informative of them all, whether it be from each other or from others.

Without further ado

Let the true Masquerade begin!

-----------------

All the guests had taken their leave, leaving only the ones who received the invitation to private after party. Left are those who are truly loyal and good friends of Rosenborne. The people our gratitude and favor is given to and…
The Moriarty brothers… and a fateful reunion or rather greeting

All were taken to a more smaller room for the remaining people. The room less lavish than the previous one. The main focus is to have a good time. The room have round table placed with white cloth over them companied by chairs. A vase at all centers of the tables holding roses. The tables empty, taking into consideration that many ate previously.

A worker leading each group to a table. Eventually leading to where I found myself. Purposefully along with the Moriarty brothers. All the other guests lost in their own chattering, opposing to our silent table. It was a dead silence among us, waiting for either party to speak up. As expected, the strong silence was easily shattered on the first word entrance.