ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 ℑℑ

In a nation far away, there lived a young soldier. There were many names for him, but there was one that stuck most.

"The Prideful Soldier."

He believed that the name suited him, but that just made the name more truthful.

He was fairly stuck-up, but there were only two people that could see through him.

One of which was bad for him.

☠︎︎✍︎♕︎

I walked through the village, admiring everything from afar.

There were children dancing in the square, citizens enjoying their food, and music in the air.

That included one particular tune.

"Poet... how many times have I told you. It's illegal t—"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's illegal to steal from my audience. I know! But... they have cool stuff," they pouted, wrapping a scarf around their neck.

"Poet, no. You will return these items, and you will return them at once." I demanded, genuinely getting a bit fed up with them.

I could never be truly angry, though.

"Oh yeah?" they smirked, running up to the fountain.

They climbed onto the ledge, dangling the scarf in my face.

"Come and get it."

I rolled my eyes, deciding to play their game today.

I lunged forward to grab the scarf, but they quickly pulled it from my grasp. They danced around the rim of the fountain, swinging the scarf in circles.

"I don't have time for your games!" I groaned, but I couldn't hide my smile.

Despite them being a pain in the ass, I enjoyed the poet's company. There was never a day when they weren't being reported for some crime. It was always something with this writer.

"I think you do... Why else are you chasing me if you have somewhere else to be?" they teased, jumping to the second tier of the fountain.

Now they were too high.

"Alright, get down before you get hurt," I called, carefully stepping up on the rim.

They stopped in front of me, smiling.

"Will you catch me if I fall?"

"Poet, n—"

They fucking fell.

And I caught them.

I breathed heavily, the panic that just went through my body beginning to calm down. I held the poet in my arms, the scarf now wrapped around my neck.

"So you did catch me! That's how I know you're not sick of me." they smirked, holding either end of the scarf.

I glared down at them, my nose twitching a bit.

"I hate you." I groaned, knowing fully well that I was lying.

They just smiled up at me, their eyes falling down to the scarf. They began to fix it, making sure that it sat perfectly on top of my armor.

"I think you should keep it... it suits you," they smiled, a genuine warmth coming to their face instead of their previous playfulness.

"Poet, it's stolen." I sighed, not even imagining keeping it.

"I know! But it matches the color of your uniform. It could be a gift from me," they shrugged, planting both feet on the ground.

Well, the soaked ground.

"I'll think about it." I replied, giving them a slight smile.

They smiled back, brushing off their clothing.

"Perfect."

☠︎︎✍︎♕︎

The poet and the king were two of my closest friends. Even though I was having an affair with one of them, I could still count on him.

As much as I loved the poet, they were far too reckless for me. I enjoyed a sense of stability, which is why I fell for the king.

I continued to walk through the lively town, unwrapping the scarf around my neck.

I just stared at it, feeling the soft material under my fingertips.

"It suits you."

I'm not wearing a stolen scarf.

But it'd make them happy.

I shook my head, stuffing the scarf into my bag. I wouldn't be caught wearing something that belonged to another person. It felt too wrong.

I made a vow to this kingdom, and I would never even think about breaking it.

Even for the poet.

My loyalty to the king is above all. It's nothing but a good thing.

Right?