ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔙

♕︎

After a while of sulking, I finally decided to leave the castle. I needed some fresh air to clear my head. Fall time in the village was perfect for that.

I already knew where I was truly going, though.

I wore a long cloak over my clothes, the hood covering part of my face. I didn't want to be recognized by anyone.

Especially not by the man I've had the most problems with lately.

I made my way to the middle of the square, reaching the main fountain. There was a crowd of people surrounding it, blocking whatever was happening in the middle.

I slowly shoved my way to the front, trying not to piss anybody off.

That's when I saw him.

"Who knew the king was such a good pickpocket?"

The thief.

Who turned out to double as a poet.

"Their mistress mounted through the empty skies. In her light chariot quickly is conveyed. Holding their course to Paphos, where their queen means to immure herself, and not be seen."

I guess I came a little too late.

Once he finished the last line, he gently shut the book closed. The audience began their applause, some of their expressions holding a genuine connection to whatever that was.

I wasn't much of a poetry guy.

The crowd slowly left the area, giving props to the poet. He began packing his stuff up, accepting gifts that were given from grateful people.

As well as a few that he nicked himself.

Once the crowd lessened, I decided to finally step up. I took a deep breath, trying to build up the courage to approach him.

"Do you normally stand and stare?"

Is he talking to me?

The poet-thief turned to face me, a smile plastered on his face.

Okay.

He was talking to me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to creep around. I just... I was in the area."

Great.

You're so good at this you fucking idiot.

"I don't mind. It's good to know that Mr. King enjoys my poems," he teased, leaning on the rim of the fountain.

I didn't, really.

I enjoyed hearing his voice, though.

What the fuck?

I simply chuckled in response, finally walking up to him.

"If I'm being honest... I didn't really get it. I'm not a poetry person, but I still grew to enjoy it," I responded, peering down at him.