02. 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞

ii

ii. "Is this really a game?"
season one, episode two

𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 a cleared up space, Akari saw Sakura cooking eggs for them

𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 a cleared up space, Akari saw Sakura cooking eggs for them. They had been holed up in the furniture store for four days. Sakura didn't want them playing games because it wasn't necessary but their visas were going down.

Throughout every day they had figured out what their lives meant in this reality. Sakura used to walk the streets of Tokyo at night and one night she ran into a woman. The woman was the one to explain to Sakura what visas were, the suit of the card, and the numbers. The number of cards were their days left to live, they had 6 days. The suit was the difficulty, clubs were teamwork, diamonds were wits, spades were physical, and hearts were physiological.

"Where'd you get those?" Akari asked, a smile plastered on her face.

"Some grocery store a couple blocks away." Sakura said, filling up two plates with eggs.

Sakura handed Akari a plate and they both sat in silence. A thought lingered in Sakura's head, unsure if she should say it or not.

"Uh, I've been thinking and our visas are running out." Sakura started, Akari watching her. "So tonight I'm going out. Just me, though."

"What? Why only you?" Akari complained. "My visa is running out too."

"I know but we've only played one game. I go out tonight and see what type of people are out there and what kind of games we might run into. Then the next day I'll take you out with me. Okay?" Sakura explained, the girl nodding.

"Okay. Try not to be out for so long, it's scary here at night."

"I'll try."

Sakura gave the teenager a soft smile which was returned by Akari. Sakura had never shown this much emotion to Akari yet and maybe this is why they have awkward silences every night.

★★★

Walking out of the mall, Akari watched her from the top floor balcony before heading back into the store. Sakura sauntered around the city, stopping at the front of a glowing billboard. She followed the way it told her to go in and walked into a building, seeing five other people. Funny.