Prologue

A/N: Hello, and welcome to my story! I am in the process of editing, so bare with me if there are mistakes or inconsistencies :)

The year was 2003 and Luna Dea sat upon her throne, staff in hand and white, glimmering hair blowing in the light mountain breeze. She felt the familiar pangs and jolts in her immortal heart as the wolves on earth lived their lives, praying to her in their most crucial moments.

For the 112th time that day, Dea felt the feeling of a new birth-of a young werewolf about to enter the world. She felt her lips tug into a small smile, the way they usually did, at the thought of a new life. She focused her concentration intently on the glow that only she could see in order to search the future soul of the newcomer.

The Luna Dea had one of the most important jobs in the world of werewolves, and she had had the job since the beginning of time. For it was her job to pair mates-a unique and essential aspect of the werewolf world. Dea truly believed that there was no greater love or power that existed than the love that came with the mate bond. The mate bond, under Luna Dea's guidance, paired together two compatible souls for all eternity so that they would feel the utmost amount of love, respect, and desire for each other. The purpose was not only to procreate, but also to foster a world of love and peace.

Just as she had broken in to the soul of the unborn child, Dea was startled by the warm, glowing presence that she felt, for she had never felt it before. Squinting her crystal eyes slightly in concentration, she worked to decipher the codes of the soul. She almost fell from her throne at what she saw.

The female's soul was pure, so pure that it shown and resonated like no other. She saw kindness, resilience, care, rare beauty, and tranquility. Every good quality that she had ever experienced through other newborns seemed to have been blended together to form this one glowing person. For the first time in thousands of years, Dea wasn't sure what to do. She was shocked. This child was surely special, and she knew she needed to seek council.

"Atta, come to me, for I seek your council," Dea called out in a soft whisper. For Atta Deus was the god of creation. It was by his hand and at the hands of an unexplainable fate that wolves were created. In a few short seconds, Atta had appeared in front of Dea.

"You called, my queen?" Atta spoke gently.

"Yes, my deus, for I have seen something that I have never seen before."

"Tell me what you have seen."

"A soul, more pure and good than what I thought to be possible. What can be the meaning of this?" Atta gave her a knowing look.

"I know who it is that you speak of. When I was creating her, the fates intervened at a great level, somewhat uncontrollably. I could feel them, more so than usual. I know not what this means, but she is special. Perhaps it was even by accident that so many pieces came together so perfectly. But we know that she will do much good in the world."

"That she will, for I've seen a future of her helping and caring for others. What action should I take, my lord?"

"Pair her with another good soul, so that they may live in goodness together. In their unity, they will have a magnificent impact on the world."

"You're right. That seems to be the best action to take. I will choose carefully. Thank you, Atta, I deeply appreciate it." Atta smiled and reached for her hand which he kissed gently.

"Until next time, my lady." As Atta disappeared, Dea once again focused her thoughts on the girl. She searched the girl's heart which glowed with innocent curiosities and the desire to make things better. Just as she began to search outward for a match, her mind was bombarded with a powerful darkness.

Alaricus. She felt her lips frown at the protrusion of darkness. Alpha Alaricus had been designated to rule over the werewolves on earth as Alpha King. Though plagued by centuries worth of darkness, grief, and even evil, Alaricus was the most powerful wolf, and possibly even being, to have ever lived. The intrusion was caused by a bloody battle that she was now looking at in northern lands just south of Alaska. Alaricus and his men were ripping apart wolf by wolf for reasons unknown to Dea. It was some of the worst carnage she had ever seen. Dea felt her thoughts growing more intense at the thought of Alaricus's uncontrollable rage and the increasing amount of evilness that plagued his cold heart.

A rare feeling crossed Dea's mind perhaps as a result of the bloody wolves' heads rolling around on the ground or the tinted red grass underneath Alaricus's feet. She suddenly felt the pressing need to intervene. Focusing all of her power on the huge, dark, powerful brown wolf in her mind, she channeled the depths of her abilities.

The power of the moon goddess caused an overall sense of tranquility and even accusatory wrath to fall over the battlefield, even though it was specifically aimed at Alaricus. Many of the men stopped what they were doing, and even Alaricus, though he did not stop, seemed calmer and less rage-filled. She was satisfied with her success, for she could not tolerate any more deaths.

Veering away from the battle she had just experienced with the intention of returning to it at a later time, she moved her thoughts back to the unborn child. The first name that came to her mind was Alpha Cyrus Kane, a noble, kind-hearted leader from Greece who had been alpha of his northeastern pack for the past 100 years. Dea knew that the poor man had waited much too long for his mate, but the moon goddess was a patient woman. If it took 100 years for the perfect match to be born, Dea had no problem waiting that long. She was a firm believer in not rushing perfection.

Dea knew that Cyrus would take great care of the female, and that they would compliment and help each other. Cyrus had done many good things in his life, and he had placed the Luna Dea greatly. She knew he deserved such a mate; as shockingly beautiful and good as she would be. With the pair in mind, Dea focused her thoughts on binding the souls. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion when she found that the bond would not seal.

It was only then that she saw what she had done. The bond would not form because Dea had already bonded the female with someone else. Dea's eyes widened in horror at the mistake she had made just a few moments ago, a mistake that she had never made in all of her years. A mistake that could be catastrophic. A mistake that could not be reversed, as bonds were permanent and could not be broken.

Dea pondered over her mistake; she hadn't shut the mental portal between the mate pairing and the war that she had witnessed! She remembered focusing all of her powers on Alaricus in the same way that she might do while forming bonds. She was horror-stricken and for once, hadn't a single clue of what to do. She felt a tear roll down her white cheek at the future pain the pure soul would have to endure once in the hands of the evil king. And it was all her fault, accident or not.

For Luna Dea had paired the kindest and most innocent of souls to the beast that was the Alpha King-Alaricus Night.

Name meanings (in case you're curious!)
Luna Dea: Moon Goddess
Atta: Father
Deus: God
Alaricus: All powerful, ruler of all
Cyrus: Like the sun