Fifteen

[Unedited]

Talking to her father changed something for Lily. It was only twenty minutes after Cyrus left when she realized that she hadn't even tried to get herself out of her current situation. Sure, she'd protested and asked Alpha Night if she could go home a few times but she didn't want to ask for his permission anymore. Hearing her father's voice had given her the strength she needed to realize that she could go home—on her own terms.

The problem was going to be the ring. But Lily had come up with a solution. She didn't know much about spells or witches but she figured any spell could be reversed, or at least altered. She remembered her father's friend, Anya, who told her there were lots of witches living in the forests. She knew she was surrounded by forests and surely she could find a witch who would help her. She didn't know where she was or how she would get there, but when she made it far enough away, she would stop to get directions to the nearest witch's house.

Her plan relied on the hope that the Alpha would be gone for the whole day, like he usually was, and by the time he noticed her gone, she would have already made it to a witch who could reverse the power of the ring. She'd see her dad and friends, maybe go into hiding, and then he wouldn't be able to find her. She knew he was the Alpha King and probably had unlimited resources, but how far would he go to get her back anyway? Besides, she wasn't necessarily running away, she was just going back to where she belonged.

These thoughts racing through her mind and adrenaline already coursing through her veins, she hurriedly grabbed some bread and fruit before making her way to her room. She began to pack a small bag. She only needed a few things; a change of clothes, a little blanket, and some food. She didn't want to take anymore than was absolutely necessary. She already felt bad for taking some of the things he had bought her. She assured herself that she would find some way to send him money. That in mind, she changed into some comfortable leggings, a grey t-shirt with a purple sweatshirt, and running sneakers.

Lily knew that if she wanted to have enough time to reach Anya, she would have to hurry. The fact that she had woken up so early helped. Luckily, the window she planned on leaving out of, in the guest room, was in the back of the house—the opposite side of the guards. If she was quiet enough, she should be able to go unnoticed. Bag in hand, she stealthily lifted the glass from the window and unlatched the screen in place. As silently as possible, she lifted herself out onto the roof. Carefully, she walked down the slanted plates of the roof until she was standing on the edge. Luckily, it reached low enough where if she got as close to the ground as she could by hanging on to the edge, she wouldn't be harmed.

Moving the bag to rest on her shoulder, she lowered herself to the edge and kept as firm of a grip on it as she could. Walking her legs down the side of the house, she moved her feet as close to the ground as she could before she let go and closed her eyes, holding in the gasp that wanted to escape from her lips. When she opened her eyes, she was standing on the grass facing the mansion she had just escaped from.

And then she was off into the chilly morning air, her footsteps as silent as a mouse.

~*~

"This treaty has been put off for far too long," Alaricus said to Cyrus. It was nighttime and Alaricus, Cyrus, and some of the pack's warriors were at the training grounds. "When will the Council be here?" Alaricus was annoyed. The Lydondale Treaty wasn't even that important; all it did was reaffirm the fact that the Lydondale territory was to remain neutral. But it certainly did not warrant waiting days for the Council. He didn't even know why the Council had suddenly decided to involve themselves. As for Cyrus, he was required because not only was he well aquatinted with the Lydondale family, his pack was right beside the lands. He had had to deal with much conflict over its supposed neutrality. He needed the treaty to keep the peace.