Nine

[Unedited]

WARNING: Chapter contains heavy violence!!

The news was playing on TV at a very low volume and it was clear that Lily wasn't really watching it. She was thinking about all of the homeless people in her pack. The thoughts were triggered by some of the news she'd seen. Lily had always had a problem with homelessness and hunger amongst packs. It didn't make any sense to her why they weren't being helped. In her opinion, the first things that tax money should be spent on were shelters and food for the people who needed it.

In school, one of her teachers had told her about a mission group called "HHH"-help, happiness, and hope. They worked to fight against violence and protect the vulnerable. As far as she knew, the group traveled around the nation offering people motivation and comfort. They raised money so that shelters could be built and resources could be attained. They also wrote speeches, PSA's, and worked at the shelters and soup kitchens. They accredited their work to the moon goddess, claiming she gave them strength and courage to fight for the voiceless. Lily thought it was beautiful and she had wanted to be a part of it ever since.

She remembered watching a documentary about a woman named Crystal Hemmings, the current president of HHH. There were clips of her speeches that left Lily star struck. Someday she'd be a part of it, she promised herself. She wouldn't stand for all of the suffering in the world that happened for no reason.

The Alpha's footsteps rang through the living room, interrupting her thoughts, and Lily jumped in surprise. It was just before evening and he was never home this early. "You're back early," she observed.

"My beta, gamma, and a few of the council members are coming over for a meeting. I need you to make dinner."
Lily was playing with her fingers quietly for a moment before she looked up at Alpha Night. Her hopeful thoughts from before had vanished and she thought of the days she'd spent isolated and homesick.

"Is this what my life is going to be?" Lily asked softly, sadly, as she stood up from the couch. "Locked up with no one to talk to and nothing to do?" Bravely, she took a few steps closer to him.

She didn't mean for it to happen, but she couldn't stop herself from letting out all of her feelings. "I wait for you to get home and then we barely talk. And then when you finally do come home early, you expect me to just obey whatever you say like an unfeeling machine. I miss my father and my home," she whispered, her lips trembling slightly. "I don't mean to complain, I'm very grateful for all that you've given me, and I understand that I'm supposed to be your mate, but I'm just so l-lonely, I c-can't..." She trailed off. "There are so many things-" she started again but couldn't finish.

Her eyes were filling with tears and she didn't want to have a breakdown in front of him. Lily hadn't had an emotional breakdown for as long as she could remember. She was mostly happy and when she was upset, she had her father and her friends. But she'd been crying too much lately.

Her eyes were so clear, so honest, and so sad as he stared down at her unfeelingly. She waited for his next words, praying he would offer her some comfort or some sign that he would let her see her father again. He was her mate, after all. She'd have to be happy with him—the moon goddess always knew what she was doing. Her heart was beating quickly and she couldn't tell what he was thinking. Would he be angry with her? Punish her? Understand?

"Have dinner ready by 6," he ordered, without showing any emotion. And then he was gone.

It stormed all the while Lily was making stew and homemade bread. She tried to block out her emotions as best as she could, only letting a few tears slip. The rain fell so hard outside, the thunder was so fierce, and the lightning was so bright that some might have said the moon goddess was crying.