Thirteen

Thank you @defyme for the beautiful banner! (Ps. If you want to make my day, send me artwork :p) ALSO, if you like this story, please vote and comment! It really gives me incentive to write and I appreciate it so much. That said, I can't believe this story has over 60,000 views!! THANK YOU! I hope you enjoy this chapter!

UPDATE: Somebody pointed out a problem which I'm so thankful for! So in case you're confused--in Chapter 11, when Cyrus has his dream, he's staying at the pack house. In this chapter, I've changed it from the guards saying there isn't any room in the pack house to there isn't any room anymore because someone new is coming. Sorry for that and thank you! Also, if you thought this chapter was boring, please bear with me because I'm building up to a lot of stuff!

[Unedited]

"Alpha," Beta Donte bowed his head, "I'm afraid the pack house will be full once our new guests arrive. We will have no room to accommodate Alpha Cyrus during his stay."

Alpha Night frowned. There had been so many births the previous year that he had to open up the doors of the pack house to some of the higher ranked warriors. He was eventually going to have to find some way to reallocate them.

"Are there not any rooms available in our subsidized housing?"

"None, sir."

"He'll have to stay in my house then," the Alpha concluded. He wasn't overly concerned with this—it was custom for werewolves to reside close together—but he was a man of privacy who had only let wolves stay in his huge house when it was absolutely necessary. This was apparently one of those cases. Besides, Cyrus would most likely only be staying for a few days.

"Very well," Beta Donte nodded. "Should I prepare a room?"

"Yes. In the furthest East Wing of my house." He trusted Alpha Cyrus for the most part—they'd worked together many years ago and he knew that Alpha Cyrus was an effective leader of his pack. But that didn't mean he wanted him anywhere near his mate. He wondered whether it was worth saying something but then settled on the fact that it wasn't necessary; everyone knew what the consequences would be of touching the Alpha King's mate.

~*~

Lily was making cinnamon buns in the kitchen and Alaricus was seated at the table typing on his laptop. He had been spending more time with her lately. He tried not to be too obvious about the fact that he was listening to her. She was humming along with a jazz song playing from an old radio she had found, one he used to use for news updates. Lily adored jazz. When she was in primary school, she played the flute. In school, they played marching band music and symphonies which she liked enough. But it was her dad who taught her jazz. He told her exhilarating stories about when he met Louis Armstrong and about concerts he attended in New York City.

For the first time in over ten years, Alaricus found himself thinking about Annobel. She was his half sister-they shared the same whorish mother-and though she was intolerable 99% of the time, sometimes he thought about her. He had obviously never loved her, he barely even liked her-she had deplorable traits. She was obscenely selfish and narcissistic to the point where if she wanted something, she'd run down everyone in her path to get it. She'd whine and cry and pout on a daily basis. She was as vain as was physically possible and the most bratty child he had ever known.

"Annobel, get your feet off of me before I lock you outside in the rain," he was completely serious. He was much too busy to deal with his insolent half sister.

"Do not be such a gruuump, Alaricus." She removed her feet off his lap only to turn on the radio sitting on the coffee table where they were sitting. "It's on! Right now! Oh my goodness!!" He groaned in annoyance. She didn't have a care in the world and it infuriated the hell out of him. He would get up and move somewhere else but he was here first and the last thing he wanted was for her to believe she had any kind of power over him.