Seventeen

Sorry for the long wait! Holidays are busy. Hopefully this chapter (which is my longest one yet) makes up for it!
Hope you all had a great Christmas or whatever you celebrate! <3
Special thanks to @tamisloveu for the gorgeous banner!

[Unedited]

At around 3 A.M., Alaricus shot up to the intrusive sound of a knock. Coming out of his delirious, and surprisingly deep sleep-state within a matter of milliseconds, he was instantly in defense mode, tightening his arms around Lily who was still sleeping soundly in his arms. Eyes flashing red, he inhaled and was able to detect the presence of Cyrus. He dares approach the Alpha King's room?

With a carefulness that drastically contradicted his furious mood, he moved Lily off his chest and tucked her into the blankets. He approached the closed door with a deadly aura, instincts sharp as ever and ready to shift in seconds if needed. He never singled anyone out as a threat.

He opened the door quickly and growled lowly when he was met with Cyrus's face in the darkness.

"My sincerest apologies, Alpha," he bowed his head. "I would never think of waking you at night had the circumstances been different. But I must let you know that the Council has arrived. They called just a few moments ago."

"Where are they right now?" Alaricus asked, stepping outside of the room and closing the door behind him.

"They've been received by your guards, as is custom. They now wait for us at the pack house. They want to speak right now." 

"We'll go now then. I want them off my land as soon as possible," Alaricus growled. First, they delayed a meeting, an insignificant one at that, and then had the audacity to show up at 3 in the morning seeking a hearing at that very moment. Well, if they wanted a hearing, they'd get a hearing.

Cyrus followed the fuming Alpha King outside of the mansion and to the pack house. This whole thing was slightly disturbing for Cyrus. First, he had a feeling something was seriously wrong, for the Council was usually very timely and organized. Never had he experienced them showing up weeks late with little to no communication and at such an unreasonable hour. Second, he knew that the Council being here meant he would have no further reason to stay. He would have to leave Lily.

He hadn't been able to get a good glimpse of her from where he stood outside of the Alpha's room, but he comforted himself with the thought that he didn't smell any blood. And she was sleeping. So unless he had, God forbid, knocked her out or something along those lines, she had at least felt comfortable enough to sleep.

As soon as they were through the doors of the pack house's meeting room, Alaricus reacted violently. Throwing the lead member of the Council, Tommas, against the wall, he let out a booming roar. Unbeknownst to the Council, Cyrus knew some of his anger was coming from what had just happened the previous night.

"You dare prolong this worthless meeting for weeks and then have the audacity to show up here in the middle of the night demanding my hearing? Do you not recognize that I have more important issues to deal with than this treaty and the workings of this incompetent council?"

"Alpha Night, please do calm down," Tommas said pompously, though anyone could hear the small amount of fear creeping into his voice. "Let us sit down and discuss this like gentlemen."

With another low growl, the King shoved him once more against the wall and then took a few steps back. "You have 10 minutes. You will speak and then you will get off my land."

Tommas straightened his jacket and then joined the remaining Council members who were all sitting, looking anywhere other than at the Alpha King. "The Lydondale Treaty no longer stands," Tommas said. He was silent for a few minutes before he began to explain. "The reason for our untimeliness is complicated. We take it you're aware of the newest Rebellion?"