Chapter Four: Negotiations

Staring across the table at Robb, Stannis wasn't quite sure if he had heard what he had said right; he looked at the man that was seated beside his fellow monarch, his face revealing nothing that was going on in his mind. 

The tension in the air was hard to ignore as the words that had come from Robb still rang in Stannis' ears, his eyes locked on Jon Snow as he mulled over what he had just been told. 

Before him laid out upon the table was the evidence that had been gathered to prove their declaration, that Jon Snow was not the bastard son of Ned Stark and some wench but the legitimate son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. 

The documentation proving that the marriage was legitimate had also been found, there would be no way of disproving that they were talking about. 

Leaning forward in his seat, Stannis' eyes took in every inch of the paperwork that had been gathered to prove that Jon Snow was really the son of Rhaegar Targaryen. 

"I don't want the throne," Jon stated making Stannis look up from the documents that were layout before him, the room was silent and Robb stood tall beside the man that he considered a brother. 

He was so thankful that Jon had trusted him enough to bring this to him, he knew that it couldn't have been easy to find out his entire life was a lie; that the man that he had called father had lied to protect him all these years. 

Robb couldn't imagine what had been going through Ned's mind when he had brought Jon home unable to tell anyone the truth in fear of what Robert would do if he ever found out. 

"You are the King, I only wish is for peace and to serve the realm however you and Robb deem fit," Jon continued on, he didn't wish for the iron throne and he was contented to know where he had come from. 

There was so much that he wished that he could ask Ned, that he could ask his father and understand why he had kept it all so quiet for all those years not even telling his wife. 

Stannis leant back in his chair, he saw nothing of Rhaegar in the boy and he could easily see how Ned had gotten away with this for all those years without anyone guessing the truth. 

"What are your intentions then?" Stannis asked the two men, he looked between them curious why they had felt the need to bring this to his attention if they weren't going to use this information.

Robb looked to Jon, knowing that there had been much talk about what would come from the knowledge that he was really a Targaryen that he finally knew the truth about his heritage and where he came from. 

"We have an offer for you," Robb stated knowing that this was a delicate matter, it wasn't going to be easy but he knew that the matter at hand was one that could not be ignored when they had another Targaryen on their mind. 

There was no denying that Daenerys was a threat that could not be ignored but perhaps if they played their cards right then they could find a way to unseat her claim. 

Stannis nodded his head for them to continue, his eyes taking in the man that he knew that Robert would have killed on the spot if he even had a hint that he was the son of his greatest rival. 

"Jon will swear loyalty to House Baratheon, renounce any claim to the throne for House Targaryen as the head of his house," Robb stated knowing that this was just the start, they would need to tread lightly as they worked on this. 

There would be a few houses that would leap at the chance to see House Targaryen restored and then there were the Martells who might not take the news so well of Jon's existence. 

"You will grant him a title and lands. Legitimise his claim to House Targaryen so that none will doubt the announcement, nor will they see Daenerys as a possible figure head," Robb continued on, he looked wary at this part and he saw a frown form on Stannis' face knowing that this would not be easy.