Chapter Five: Lord Daeron Targaryen

Sitting upon the dais, Stannis stared at Howland Reed taking in the Lord of Greywater Watch that had been with Ned Stark when he had gone to get his sister from the Tower of Joy but instead had left with his newborn nephew. 

Howland Reed stood before the gathering, recounting the day that had seen the death of Lyanna Stark and the start of a lie that would span two decades hiding the truth of Jon Snow from the realm. 

He was one of several witnesses that had been called forward to testify that Jon Snow wasn't truly Jon Snow at all but Daeron Targaryen the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. 

The gathering consisted of every notable Lord and Lady in the three realms, people had been called together from across Westeros to come see the trial that was taking place. 

The evidence shown and legitimised by the maesters of the citadel, confirming that the marriage between Elia Martell and Rhaegar had been annulled shortly followed by the marriage of Rhaegar and Lyanna. 

It had been difficult for the Martells to hear, King Dorian revealed nothing as he sat listening to the testimonies as each of those called upon them to testify that Daeron Targaryen was who he claimed to be. 

Robb was seated between Stannis and Dorian, the tension growing with each testimony and question probe knowing that this was necessary. 

Catelyn Stark sat quietly in the crowds beside her brother and his wife, she had been called down to Riverrun to bear witness to what was happening; her face revealing nothing of the betrayal that she felt. 

It had been Robb that had broken the news to his mother in a private meeting when she had arrived, the look of fury and betrayal on her face was one that Robb doubted that he would ever forget. 

Even now she could not bare to look at Jon, whether that was because she was ashamed of how she had treated him or something else no one but Catelyn knew but she avoided Jon at all cost these days. 

"Thank you Lord Reed," Robb stated with a nod of his head as the Northern Lord left the stand where he had been giving evidence, one of many testimonials that they had heard that morning. 

It had been a long day of hearing other people talk, it had been a long day of securing the fact that Jon Snow was Daeron Targaryen and it wasn't over yet.

"Lord Dayne," Stannis called to the Lord of Starfall, signalling for the man to come forward and take the stand; the man in question made his way forward, a grim look on his face as he passed by Catelyn before taking to the stand. 

There was no emotion on his face, nothing to give away the man's feelings on the matter at hand; the only thing that anyone could tell was that Lord Dayne would rather be anywhere else. 

"Your brother Arthur wrote to you did he not?" Stannis asked wanting to get this over with, he had no desire to drag today out more than needed and it was more a formality than anything else right now. 

A decision had already been reached on the matter, it was for show that they sat here legitimatising the fact that Jon Snow was the son of Rhaegar Targaryen before the people. 

"Aye, he did," Lord Dayne agreed with a stiff nod of his head, he had produced the letter when he had been asked to do so; House Dayne had always been loyal to House Targaryen, that was why he had kept the letters for all these years. 

Proof that Jon was who he claimed to be, proof that he was the rightful ruler but alas it seemed the boy was foolish enough to give away his birth right for peace. 

"He wrote of Prince Rhaegar's plans to annul his marriage to Elia, to wed the Stark girl... the wedding, the pregnancy and the birth of Daeron Targaryen," Lord Dayne summarised, there was no beating around the bush in his words and he wanted this over with as soon as possible.