Chapter Six: The Targaryen-Velaryon Alliance

"Have you lost your mind?" Corwyn Velaryon hissed grabbing onto Laena's arm and pulling her to the side, his grip tight as she tried to shrug him off and walk away from him. 

Laena glared at her uncle, she couldn't believe that he was acting like this in public she thought that he would have understood why she had done this. 

Afterall, it wasn't a secret on what he planned to do and how he planned to unseat her brother from the lands and titles left to him upon the death of their father during the Battle of Blackwater. 

"I am of sound mind uncle," Laena scolded him as she turned to face the man that would happily murder her brother if that meant that he could be the Master of Driftmark. 

Laena didn't trust Corwyn for a moment, her ambitious uncle had been lurking around since before her father had passed away and had been devastated when Laena's mother had birthed Monterys displacing him as heir to Driftmark. 

"Then why would you offer yourself up as the wife of the Targaryen bastard without the blessing of myself," Corwyn accused shaking his head, he didn't care that Stannis or anyone else believed that Jon Snow was the legitimate son of Rhaegar, a bastard was a bastard to him. 

As the head of their house until Monterys came of age, it was on him to organise a marriage for Laena and he had planned to wed her to his own son to secure his own succession. 

"I do not need your blessing to do anything, my fate is in my own hands just as my father decreed before his death," Laena spat at her uncle, her eyes taking in the room to see if anyone was watching them right now. 

This was a fairly public gathering, many celebrating the days events and talking about the tourney that was still taking place despite everything that had happened that day. 

Corwyn pulled Laena closer, he refused to believe that she would actually go through with this marriage that she would actually shame their family like this when she could marry Vaemond instead. 

"How dare you! I am your caretaker, I will not consent to this match," Corwyn raged silently, he glanced around not wanting to attract any further attention than needed to this conversation. 

House Velaryon was held in high regard among the ranks of those who were loyal to Stannis, they had sworn themselves in the early days of the war and had never looked back.

"If I could borrow my betrothed for a moment," interrupted a voice, Laena and Corwyn looking to the side to see an awkward looking Jon Snow stood beside them. 

His eyes caught on the hold that Corwyn had on Laena's arm before offering his own to the woman that had pledged herself to him only a matter of hours ago. 

"We have much to discuss before our wedding tomorrow," Jon noted with an awkward smile, he resisted the urge to turn around and punch Corwyn for laying his hands on Laena in such a way. 

The last thing he wanted was to cause trouble when things were still fresh and people were only now getting to know him as Daeron Targaryen rather than the bastard son of Ned Stark. 

Laena smiled at him linking her arm with Jon's and allowing him to lead her away, she didn't look back at Corwyn or his scowling face as he watched Laena walk away with Jon. 

"Thank you," Laena whispered to him, she had no idea what he was like and she had only heard stories of the honourable Ned Stark; she guessed if he was anything like his cousin then it wasn't going to be so bad. 

Jon Snow was an unknown entity especially now as Lord of Dragonstone, the ancestral home of the Targaryens returning to the rightful heir after all this time.