Chapter Nine: Strengthened Alliance

"I do not wish to go," Deston arguing shaking his head as he looked between his sister and brother, he could not believe what he was hearing; that they had sold him off to the highest bidder and now he was expected to leave everything he knew. 

He had always done as they had asked him, he had gone to be a ward and trained hard under the tutorage of the Karstarks; he had never questioned anything that they had asked of him. 

"I know this is a lot to ask," Arthur said shaking his head, he honestly didn't want to agree to such a match for his younger brother but there would be no better offer for Deston. 

Deston was a second son, unlikely now to inherit anything since Arthur had two sons of his own now that secured the succession of House Tremaine in Aeredale. 

"A lot to ask. You're asking me to give up everything," Deston snapped shaking his head and turning away from Arthur, he looked to Sanira hoping that she would argue in his favour only to see the look on her face. 

He looked away quickly unable to believe that they would send him south, that he would be sent away from the North instead of allowing him to serve the family like he had always wanted to. 

It was bad enough that he'd been forced to watch from the side-lines as the war raged on and he was kept away from the fighting hidden away like a child while his sister and brother claimed victories. 

"If there was another way then we would take it Deston. But there is not and we need to keep the peace with Stannis," Sanira told him calmly, she knew that there was no way around such a match and they had to make sacrifices especially with what they knew about Jon. 

They needed to be able to offer Stannis something that wouldn't seem like a threat, Rickon was out of the question for that reason that he was a Stark. 

"I would not ask this of you if there was another way. You shall be Shireen's Prince Consort, the father of her children," Sanira explained stepping closer to Deston, there were worse fates that could befall a younger brother and she knew that nothing would happen to Deston while he was in such a position of power.

"No better than Laenor Velaryon," Deston scoffed with a shake of his head, he recalled how ill-fated Leanor had been when he had married the Princess Rhaenyra and how they had wished that the Velaryon boys were not his. 

Perhaps he too would die so that Shireen could marry a man that she found to be a better match, the only bonus was that all of Shireen's uncles were dead by this point. 

"What you make of the marriage is your own. Shireen is a sweet girl, I think you'll find you have a lot in common with her," Sanira said trying to reason with Deston who looked far from impressed with the fact that he was going to have to do this. 

The three siblings were silent knowing that this could very well be the last time that they were all together, Sanira and Arthur would bond to the North while Deston was to be sent South for the rest of his life. 

"Stannis expects you to be in King's Landing within three months," Sanira said knowing that it gave him time to sort everything out and prepare himself for the trip. 

His entire life was about to be up-ended, he would likely never step foot back into the North if everything went to plan but there was no telling what the future would hold. 

Deston nodded his head, he couldn't bring himself to look at Sanira nor Arthur doubting that he would ever forgive them for agreeing to such a match without even consulting him. 

The door to the chamber opened and Sanira turned to see Aiana stepping into the room, her lady looked uncomfortable about interrupting the conversation but she would not have come if it was not important.