elm ecstasy

🚬

     THERE WAS more of a crowd than you'd expected. almost all of the scavengers, you reckoned.

     Clyde kept close. everyone was wrapped up thickly as the night brought on a chill comparable to deep winter.

     the glow of cigars and the waft of smoke met the two of you the moment you stepped under the shade of the elm.

     Saf appeared, a girl at her side. she glared disdainfully at Clyde before handing you a cigar. "skags locked and loaded- need a light?"

     "spare one," you muttered, holding the cigar out to her. she lit the end. "cheers,"

     "don't kill the skeetie, doesn't look like he can handle a puff," Saf giggled, popping her joint in her mouth. "this is Lava," she gestured to the girl next to her.

     you resisted a laugh. "Lava?"

     the girl had a sharp look, hair tugged back in a tight pony tail. "got a problem?" she snarled.

     "why's your name Lava,"

     "'cause my parents wanted it to be, duh," Lava spat. her temper seemed to match.

      "alright, hot sauce, don't get antsy," you rolled your eyes and sucked on the end of the joint. you blew smoke rings around her face.

      Clyde tensed as Lava squared up.

     "what's your deal, man?" Lava hissed.

     "lay off," Saf put her hand on Lava's chest. "it's not worth it,"

     "you got drink?" you leant on one foot, peering around Saf. behind, a group were passing around a bottle.

     "not for you,"

     "why not?" you arched your brow. "is this about last time?"

     "you broke Kody's fucking nose, man," Saf spoke smoke into your eyes.

     "okay, you got me, no drink then," you raised your hands submissively with a laugh.

     Saf shook her head with a chuckle and lead the still steaming Lava away.

     "Clyde? Clyyyde? you good?" you snapped your fingers, pulling Clyde from his lost gaze.

    "hm?"

    "where'd your head go?" you handed him your cigar.

     "i don't know," he stared at the cigar in his hand like it was a bomb.

     "c'mon, loosen, take a puff. it's nothing bad," you urged him, smiling gently.

     he sighed and sucked on the end. he began to splutter. "shit," he doubled over.

     you patted him on the back. "it's great, right?" you helped him stand up.

     "god, it is," he coughed.

     you pulled him into a hug. "it isn't, i know. but you'll get used to the sting."

     "here, you keep it," he handed the cigar back to you.

      you glanced over at the group passing around the bottles. you licked your lips. "Saf doesn't make the rules, does she Clyde?"

     "y/n~" Clyde stumbled after you.

     "hey! got spare?" you hooked your arms around the first two you reached.

     "crate-load, go ahead," one murmured, nodding to a wooden crate full of drink.

     "thanks," you let go and knelt by it, pulling out three bottles.

     "is this a good idea? the Reaping is tomorrow, and Saf told you~"

      "fuck her. and look- everyone else is getting wasted, what's the deal?" you handed him one of the bottles and your cigar. "enjoy,"

     you smacked the caps off of your bottles and grinned at Clyde. "cheers!"

     you poured them into your mouth at the same time, the frothy liquid running down your throat. you shouted in celebration, others following the call.

     "go crazy, man! liberate the soul," you put an arm around Clyde's neck. "dushe-dushe, soul-to-soul,"

     Clyde began to smile, taking a gulp of alcohol. "dushe-dushe!"

🚬

     "i'd expect you to be ginger if your names Lava, know what i'm sayin'?" your words melded together.

     the girl was just as drunk as you were. "what the actual fuck is your problem, man?!" she started toward you. "why are you so obsessed with my name?"

     "i don't know?" you shrugged tauntingly. "maybe 'cause it's stupid,"

     "y/n, c'mon, can you walk me home?" Clyde asked, desperation in his tone.

     Saf pushed him away. "y/n! i swear to god i am going to beat your ass if you start something!"

     "oi! i'm not starting nothing, ain't my fault she's got a fucking ridiculous name!"

     Lava's rage met your cheek in a fist of fire.

     you reeled away, spitting blood and a mix of alcohol tainted saliva. "what the fuck?" you threw yourself at her, swinging strong punches.

     Lava deterred each one. she returned a sharp blow to your lower abdomen.

     you doubled over, stumbling away.

     a crowd had formed around the fight. you were shoved back at the blazing girl.

     if only you had a fucking hatchet. you'd slice her stupid face in half.

     Lava was drunk but still sharp. you were not. she was left to beat you black and blue until you wound up, bruised and bleeding, on the frosty dirt.

     you spat blood into the soil. no more pulling your punches. this was pissing you off.

     you jumped up, fists balled so tight the knuckles paled. as Lava lunged with a wide swing, you grabbed her arm and twisted her around.

     you dug into her shoulder-blade, pulling her arm backward. you gritted your teeth as you heard it crunch.

     Saf finally stepped in, tackling you away. it knocked the air from your lungs and spat further blood from your lips.

     things began to darken.

     Clyde helped you up, practically scooping you into his arms as he staggered drunkenly home.

     you closed your eyes.

🚬