acidic quake

🚬

     THE NEXT four days would consist of extensive training. all the tributes were gathered in a large, military-looking gymnasium, as an instructor began to explain the course. potential sponsors sat at a raised level overlooking everything.

      everyone dispersed and began their work. you looked around. Lava was gone, but you'd seen her eyeing up the tributes from 1 and 2. you expected she might want to befriend them.

     Peeta was practicing knife throwing. you joined him.

      "that was a pretty epic stunt, yesterday," you remarked, picking up a knife. you stood side-on and practiced the movement before releasing the blade. it flew and lodged into the target, just off centre.

      "thanks," Peeta smiled, scratching the back of his neck. "yours was amazing, too,"

     "fricking dangerous, though," you chuckled, standing aside to allow Peeta to throw.

      he flung, the knife lodging in the foot of the target. he scolded himself.

     you picked him up another knife, offering him some advice. "you're using a snapping motion to throw," you explained. "i'm not great, but to get a higher throw i'd recommend facing almost away from the target and snapping horizontally, not vertically. more of a swing, if you get what i mean,"

     Peeta nodded, readying himself for the throw. you gentle held his shoulder, manoeuvring him to the correct angle. you held his hand which gripped the blade, showing him the motion. he smiled and you stood back.

     the knife flew straighter. it stabbed almost right at the heart of the subject. you clapped in celebration. "that was brilliant!"

     Peeta's cheeks tinted. "thanks," he cleared his throat. "uh, should we be, like, allies?" he asked hesitantly.

      "i mean we're both gonna die so where's the harm?" you stopped yourself, closing your eyes in frustration. "sorry. that's not right. i'm not saying you're gonna die, no, you have every chance to win. but i'll probably, y'know~"

     Peeta cut you off. "it's okay."

     you stopped mid-panic, straightening as you gave him a confused look. "hm?"

     he shrugged. "i've sort of accepted that i won't win."

      and in that moment, all you wanted to do was give Peeta a hug. he looked so broken, dark eyes swamped with melancholy he tried to hide.

      "Peeta," you said instead. "we'll help each other stay alive, and i won't betray you, i promise,"

     "i promise too," Peeta nodded.

      you looked past him to where Katniss was training. "i'd say Katniss too, but she seems far more capable,"

     Peeta smiled sadly. "my mother thinks she'll be a winner."

      "i'd agree with her," you admitted. "could you introduce me to her?"

     Peeta nodded, setting down his knife. "yeah, sure,"

     he lead you to her, tapping her should to pull her from her work.

     "Katniss, this is y/n, from 13," he said as she stood. "we've allied,"

     Katniss didn't smile at first. you could feel her eyes judging you. so you judged back.

     she was pretty, with wavy dark hair, and soft features that she still managed to warp into dislike.