atomic bombshell

🚬

"THANK YOU! THANK YOU! welcome, welcome, welcome!- to the 74th annual Hunger Games!" Caesar Flickerman shouted enthusiastically, hair mopped back into a ridiculous blued style.

everyone was backstage, dressed in finery, taking deep breaths and trying not to panic. the only thing you were worried about was what Lava knew. what she'd seen.

you were dressed in a black garment, loose and swaying, with deep plummy colours streaked across it like powder. the hem was patterned like the intricates of a snowflake; reminiscent of 13's subzero climate. Lava was dressed in the same, only a white variant.

the designer had said Lava was in white because of her hair colour; but you reckoned it was to make her look a little less menacing.

Peeta was dressed in a black and red suit, with fire embellishments in reference to their appearance at the tribute parade.

one by one, the others were called to the stage and interviewed by Caesar.

you crossed your arms, hugging them tightly to your chest as you tried to keep calm. Katniss turned around. she was dressed in a beautiful red dress.

"are you alright?" she asked. "you look pale,"

you gulped. "yeah, i'll get over it. just a little dose of stage-fright,"

she nodded. men came to take her to the stage.

"good luck!" you and Peeta called in unison as she disappeared.

you turned to each other.

"how you feeling?" Peeta looked you up and down.

"all jittery, why?"

"just checking," he put a hand on your arm comfortingly. "don't stress, though, you look amazing, so all you need to do is act like it,"

you smiled. "fake it til you make it," you muttered as his turn came.

intrigued, you found a spot to watch the conversation.

"how are you finding the Capitol? and don't say 'with a map'," Caesar laughed.

on the tele-screen you could see a pixelated image of Peeta and the man, surrounded by bright lights and adoring people.

"it's, uh, very different than back home," Peeta replied.

"different in what way? give us an example," Caesar prompted in true show-host style.

"okay," Peeta mused. "well, the showers here are weird,"

"the showers?"

"yes,"

"we have different showers," Caesar addressed the audience.

"i have a question for you, Caesar. do i smell like roses to you?" Peeta wore a look on his face that made you resist a laugh. he was great at this.

"um, all right," Flickerman laughed with the crowd, unsure.

"take a whiff," Peeta beckoned.

Caesar leant in and smelt Peeta's collar. "hmm!" he muttered in amusement.

"do i?" Peeta persisted.

"yes. do i smell like it?" Caesar replied.

Peeta leant in to Caesar's neck, and the audience gasped in thrill. "you definitely smell better than i do,"

"well, i've lived here longer," chuckled Caesar.

"makes sense,"

"very funny," smiled Flickerman. "so, Peeta, tell me... is there a special girl back home?"

you bit your lip, trying not to smirk.

"no. no, not really," Peeta chuckled.

"no? i don't believe that for a second! look at that face," Caesar tutted. "handsome man like you. Peeta, tell me,"

you began to worry. what if he admitted something, that could put him in danger in the arena?

"well, there, uh..." Peeta began. "there is this one girl. feels like i've had a crush on her forever, even though it's been barely any time,"

you heard Lava pretend to gag behind you. you flipped her the middle finger and continued to watch.

"ahhh," Caesar grinned, intrigued.

"we, uh, we met by accident and, yeah," Peeta laughed. "i'm not really sure if she likes me or not,"

you arched your brow. things were getting more boggling by the moment.

"well, i'll tell you what, Peeta, you go out there and you win this thing- she'll have to go out with you," Flickerman reassured. "right, folks?"

there was an eruption of applause from the audience.

"thanks, but, uh," Peeta paused, sighing. "i don't think winnings gonna help me at all,"

"and why not?"

"because," you could feel he was pausing for dramatic affect. "she's here with me,"

"well, that's bad luck," Caesar shook his head. "tell me, what district, maybe you should tell her how you feel?"

your eyes were glued to the screen.

"13."

Flickerman nodded. "i see, i see- now, this year 13 brought us two girls, can you narrow it down?"

Peeta shifted in his seat. "sure, uh, i think she's up next. think you could pass a message on to her for me?"

"of course, yes!"

Peeta leant to Caesar's ear and muttered something unintelligible.

Caesar's brows raised and he smiled. "alright, then. thank you so much!" he stood, and Peeta followed. "and i wish you all the best of luck. Peeta Mellark! district 12!"

the crowd applauded. men came to escort you to the stage. you didn't need guided. you wanted to hear Peeta's little message, and determine whether or not you'd slap him.

🚬