sleep walker

🚬

IT WAS A bit of a challenge getting back to floor 13. you and Peeta had ended up laying on his bed, talking late into the night. when you finally decided it was time to leave, you found Haymitch, 12's mentor, half asleep on the couch outside Peeta's room.

as he stirred, you crouched behind the couch, Peeta trying to act casual as Haymitch sat up.

"oh, hey, kid," he slurred his words together. "what- what're you doing up this late... however, uh, late it is,"

Peeta tried not to glance down at you as he spoke. you had your hand clamped over your mouth, trying hard not to laugh.

"i needed, i needed the toilet," Peeta's head thrashed around as he looked for the bathroom door.

"then why are you standing watching me sleep," Haymitch questioned. "bit creepy,"

a quiet snort of a laugh escaped you. Peeta nudged you gently with his leg, faking a laugh to cover your giggles. "um, well," he stuttered as he thought of an excuse. he glanced down at you before putting his arms out in front of him. "i'm sleepwalking."

Haymitch stood with a curt laugh. "you're acting weird, kid," he shook his head.

"no i'm not." Peeta stood stock still. "you're drunk."

Haymitch waved his hand at Peeta and stumbled for his bedroom. "whatever, kid. just get some rest. you need it for what's coming,"

you scrambled round to the other end of the couch so Haymitch wouldn't spot you as he went to bed. Peeta smiled awkwardly, waiting until his door was closed.

he took one look at you, and you both broke out laughing. Peeta crumpled to his knees, covering your mouth with his hand. "sh, sh, sh," he managed through giggles. "he can still hear us,"

"okay, okay," you shook your head as you quieted, taking his hand away from you mouth. "walk me to the door?"

Peeta slipped his hand into yours, helping you up. "of course, m'lady," he swung your arm gently as he lead you to the door.

     "i had a nice night, thanks," you said, turning to face him as you slipped out the door. "i really appreciate it."

     "yeah, i had a nice time too," there was a hint of sadness in Peeta's smile. his eyes lit up suddenly. he pulled the portrait out of his pocket. "i almost forgot; i want you to have this,"

     you smiled and folded it carefully. "it's amazing," you whispered. you handed him your painting of the old elm. "i know it's no masterpiece, but that elm means a lot to scavs in 13. they'll take it away when the Games come, but it's okay,"

      he took it and smiled. "thanks. um, goodnight, then. i'll see you tomorrow,"

     "see you later," with split-second consideration, you placed a quick kiss on his lips. a shot of panic stung your heart as you stood back. "sorry, i~"

     Peeta's face was red. he smiled softly. "it's okay. i think..." his eyes darted about nervously. "i think i liked that,"

     "you're not sure?" you tilted your head.

    a look glinted in Peeta's eyes. "no, maybe you could do it again, so i can be sure?"

     "okay..." you said quietly. you put a hand on his neck and pressed your lips against his again, longer this time.

     Peeta came away with a grin on his face. he looked a puppy. "okay, i'm sure i liked it now,"

     "maybe we can do this tomorrow," you suggested. "we won't have the chance again. may as well make the most of this freedom,"

     "i'd really like that," Peeta's cheeks were tinted. "goodnight,"

     you smiled. "sleep well,"

🚬