twist and shout

🚬

     ALL WHO WERE LOST in your mind must feel such great anger. already, if felt like you were forgetting the faces of scavs from 13. faces you would never see again.

     you were soon escorted from floor 13. it was time for the tribute parade. Lava wore a similar garment to your own, white as a sheet. her hair was twisted in intricate buns and the eyeshadow surrounding her pupil made it look like a snake's.

     anticipation brewed as you met the other tributes. it was immediately obvious who the district 1s were. you ignored the pounding in your heart as everyone was allocated an identical chariot.

      a wash of noise and excited clamouring swept over you as you rode out into the crowds. you plastered a firm smile on your face, waving politely to onlookers. you wondered if Clyde was watching now, maybe with Saf and the scavs.

      heartbeat quickening, you fought with all your strength to stop your smile from faltering. you glanced at Lava. she was paralysed. her eyes were wide as they stared all about her, hands trembling. her lips were parted in worry.

      this wouldn't look good. 13's mentor had said you had to make people like you.

      "hey, take my hand," you hissed. Lava's jaw clenched but she slipped her hand into yours. "smile, now, cheer," you continued, turning to face the crowd.

      in front of you, you spotted Peeta and 12's female tribute, Katniss. they were on fire. literally. it was amazing. liquid sprayed and hissed onto your garments, decorating them in fabulous colours. you watched as the cameras changed from a shot of Katniss to a pan of Lava and you's colour-changing outfits. you beamed and waved, whooping with joy, though empty you felt.

      the chariots pulled up in arc formation before a great balcony. President Snow took the floor and gave a short speech. your gaze drifted to 12's chariot as he spoke. Peeta and Katniss' outfits had extinguished. Peeta caught your eye and smiled, tapping Katniss. she followed his gaze as he muttered something. Katniss waved and offered you a nod. you returned the gesture.

      "and may the odds be ever in your favour," Snow concluded. an uproar of applause followed.

🚬

      things occurred in a rush. everyone returned to their floors. 13's mentor congratulated you for the parade and you scrubbed up for bed.

      then, you lay on your back, on a bed that was almost too comfy, and cried. how long had you been suppressing it? denying it? you were going to die, and everyone knew it.

      a knock came at the door. Lava didn't wait to enter.

      "what do you want?" you sat up, wiping away tears frantically.

      "i wanted to thank you for early," she paused calculatedly. "and let you know it does not make us okay,"

     you sighed. you still bore the bruises from the brawl, and long past their disappearance would you rival. it was inescapable. "that's fine. being best friends with your district's other tribute isn't a given. but, can we agree to do one thing?"

     Lava arched her brow. "what?"

      "in the public eye, we have to look close. what if you say you volunteered because you were desperate to go with your best friend?"

      "that sounds stupid, why would i do that?" her lip curled.

      you shrugged. "i don't know. just make something up," you let out an aggravated sigh. "we have to get sponsors. we need people to like us. if we're at our throats the whole time, we're fucked. so until the games begin, we fake it, alright?"

      Lava reluctantly agreed. and so it was settled. she turned and left in a flourish, the door clacking shut behind her.

🚬