Chapter 29: Surprise

*many months later

While not happy about the situation, Copia wasn't displeased with the pandemic. He obviously didn't like the threat to not only his and your health but the health of your children as well. Luckily, the ministry buckled down on cleaning and quarantine protocols. Another bright side was with no touring he got to spend much more time with the twins than he thought he would. He would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy setting up a small playpen in his office for them to crawl around in or taking one with him when he has to deliver paperwork or visit one of the other clergy members. He also would be lying if he said he didn't use needing to tend to them as an excuse to get out of particularly boring or pointless meetings. Today, however, was going to be a bit special. On top of basic parenting hecticness, you and Copia had been planning a wedding. Nothing too grand, a basic ceremony and a party after for a reception, keeping it in the ministry due to the current circumstances. With all of that hecticness Copia had asked the sisters to watch the twins this afternoon so he could surprise you with a little date night.

*with you

You were currently waiting for Ms. Ricci to bring out your wedding dress so she could do some final tailoring. It had been an interesting and a bit more challenging process than you'd expected, starting with the design. You weren't really sure what style of wedding dress you would like at first, when you were younger you always thought you'd be wearing a 'modest' dress basically picked out for you. Ms. Ricci actually was very helpful and seemingly excited to show you different types and styles, eventually landing on one. But then came the color and fabric type, it seemed endless. You were pulled from your thoughts when she entered the room with a garment bag. You were speechless when she pulled it out of the bag, the deep sapphire colored silk seemingly shined like the stone itself. You knew you didn't want a white dress, the whole idea of purity rubbing you the wrong way after everything that had happened. Putting it on, though a little big, it still fit really well. There was gathered fabric around your breasts, a square neckline on top and cinched in an empire waist. The top of the skirt was a little tighter to accentuate your figure then flowed to the floor in a small a-line fashion. The sleeves were full, like a poet sleeve, from the shoulder to the elbow and were fitted to the wrist with it tapering just over your hand. One of your favorite features had to be the covered buttons going all the way down your back.

"I can't believe it..."

"You like it?"

"Its amazing."

You were startled by a knock at the door, surprised to hear Rain's voice.

"Ms. Ricci, is Mama with you?"

He entered, a small gasp escaping as he looked at you.

"Wow... is that your wedding dress?"

"Yep, working on some final tailoring. What do you think?"

"You look beautiful, Papa will love it. Speaking of which, he sent me to look for you."

You nod, changing back into your regular clothes and following Rain.

...

You couldn't remember the last time you and Copia were able to share a quiet dinner together, let alone with enough time for Copia to cook. You had learned early on in your relationship that Copia was a pretty good cook, his passion of course being of the Italian variety. You had to admit that it was nice to enjoy a home cooked meal and enjoy eachothers company. You did wonder when he had the time to grab your favorite pastries from the bakery in town. After dinner he reached down and placed a small bag on the table.

"I have one more small surprise, amore."

You look at him, confused. You open the bag and take out a small velvet box. You look back at Copia, looking for an answer. Copia rises and joins you at your side, taking the box and lowering down to one knee.

"I know I've already asked you, but it felt wrong to not give you one of these."

He opens the box and you're speechless, a gold adjustable band with two stones, a sapphire and what looked like a diamond.

"It's beautiful, you didn't have-"
"You are my everything. You are my greatest treasure, the mother of my children and will be my wife. I hope that you will be with me when all of this is over and we enter to the pit. Let me spoil you a little, cara."

You couldn't help chuckling as tears fell, he slipped the ring onto your finger. He rose, taking you in his arms.

"When the day comes, when you're no longer Papa and it comes to an end..."

He looks you in the eye, his eyes full of love.

"You'd better enter the pit with me or wait for me."

He chuckles, placing a kiss on your forehead.

"I would wait lifetimes for you, amore."