Chapter Four:

Clayton woke up as the sunlight streamed into the living room. He had wondered how long he had been asleep.
There was pressure on his chest, he realized that someone was resting their head on him. The hair tickled his neck. He could feel fingers running through his chest hair.
"Allie?" He tightened his grip as he felt her smile.
"I'm here," he felt her kiss his forehead, her lips were cold. He flicked open his eyes. He was greeted with those big eyes, green like a leaf.
"Am I dreaming?" Clayton whispered, grabbing his phone. The time read ten am. He'd been asleep for hours.
He stood up. Foggy from the Empress made him stumble.
"Clayton?" Alice whispered again, her hand stroked his forearm. It stung. His veins were black as he screamed in pain. She stood there, smiling.
"You love her? Why are you with me?" She whispered again, her words dripping with venom.
Suddenly Alice's brown hair, dripped liquid black. Helena now stood in front of him in red. Her eyes cold - cloudy, as if dead
"You're not real" he yelled as he lunged forward. Helena crumbled into ash in his arms. Her laughter at him, haunting.

Clayton felt hot and confused, awaking up from the bedroom he was now in. It was at least midday.

Where was he?

Hands were on his shoulders. It was Daniel,

"Where is Alice?" Clayton gasped sharply, as Danny moved a bit closer.

"She's not here. You have been asleep for three days. There was a coating of something on Helena's blade. It almost killed you. We were worried that we might be making a call to your folks," Daniel's voice trembled, he was never this emotional.

Clayton looked around the room. He was in his bed, covered in sweat. He hating feeling damp.

"Take it easy Clay. You've had it rough," Daniel said again, trying to get him to lay down, but he was anxious.

"Alice?" Clayton said again as he relaxed against the mattress, head resting against the headboard.

Daniel repositioned the pillow for him so he was comfortable.

"ToyBox. I mean, Alice, isn't answering my calls. I've asked a friend of mine back home to check on her. Augustine, she's trustworthy" Daniel finally gave him some news.

He felt a little uneasy about that. Alice is alone without him.

Who will protect her ?

After a few more hours of rest. Clayton stood up, gently placing his feet on the hardwood floor. He stretched, his body ached. His forearm was on fire as he grazed the blood soaked bandages.

Clayton realized he was naked? Who changed him.

He reached for his phone. No messages from Alice. That pulled at his heart strings.

Finding his bag. He dressed in a clean, deep green t-shirt and jeans. Rubbing his shoulder as his bones cracked.

Walking out into the kitchen. He quietly reached for the fresh pot of coffee. His whole body was on fire, beaten and sore, even as he reached for a coffee cup.

Every movement was agony.

The house was quiet. No Ruth or Daniel, they mentioned that they were getting more supplies and even some food.

"Hey man" Sam's voice reached up from the couch.

Clayton could see his shoulder. A glass of water next to him on the coffee table as Fox News played on the TV.

Always Fox News somewhere in the world Clayton thoughts snarled.

He had no interest in Fox, but he let in play in the background.