Chapter Eight: The West Wing

After dinner, Arcee was leading Selena back to the stairs to her room. But Selena had to ask her something.

"I don't understand why you're all being so kind to me," Selena spoke up, "Surely, you're as trapped here as I am. Don't you ever want to escape?"

"Master Knockout is not as terrible as he appears," Arcee explained, "Somewhere deep in his soul, there's a Prince... of a fellow who just waiting to be set free."

This was Selena's first time hearing the Decepticon's name. But she couldn't think about that now. Because there was something else in the castle which had grasped her curiosity.

"Optimus mentioned something about the west wing," Selena mentioned, looking up the stairs

"Never you mind about that," Arcee quickly dismissed, "Off to bed with you, poppet."

"Good night," Selena made her way up the stairs

"Nighty-night," Arcee made her way off to the kitchen

Selena continued up the stairs, seemingly going back to her room. But, once Arcee left, Selena headed straight towards the West Wing. Selena stuck to the shadows as she climbed up the crumbling staircase towards the West Wing. She soon comes to a massive wooden door, left slightly ajar. Opening the door, Selena walked in to see furniture lying in rubble, and curtains shredded, evidence of the Decepticon's temper. Wary, Selena investigates when her eyes stop at a Royal Portrait. On the portrait were a King, a Queen, and a young Prince. The Prince's face had been slashed with the only surviving part being his red eyes.

And the King's face had had the same fate, albeit just the left side destroyed. The only surviving member of the portrait was the Queen. Moving on, Selena moved past a large four-poster bed, its faded coverlet gray with dust, like no one had slept in it for years. As Selena continued to explore the West Wing, she found herself close to the balcony, where the rose was being kept under a glass case. Mesmerized, Selena approached the rose. She could see that the rose appeared to be dying, its petals fallen old and rotting below it. Reaching out to touch the glass, a shadow cuts across Selena's face.

Rushing over, Knockout ran over to Selena and the rose, thinking that she might've touched it, he desperately asked what Selena had done to it. Selena explained that she hadn't done anything but Knockout wasn't done with her. Blaming her for almost damning everyone in the castle, he yelled at her to leave. Selena complied, running out of the West Wing. Back downstairs, Optimus and Ratchet were playing chess on an upper landing, with the robot panther, Ravage resting between them. Optimus had gotten a checkmate again to which Ratchet claimed that Optimus cheated again. But their attention was taken away from their game when they saw Selena running down the stairs.

Optimus asked where she was going to which she replied that she was leaving. Ratchte ordered her to stop, blowing a whistle to alert Ravage to chase after her and gain the attention of everyone else. Ravage jumped up and started after Selena. Selena barreled down the main staircase, Ravage in close pursuit. Ravage stopped in front of Selena, stopping her from going down the stairs. But Ravage thought it was playtime, which earned him a scolding from Ratchet and Arcee. Ravage then ran out of a little door, revealing a way out after all the doors and windows had been barred shut.

Selena ran towards the now open door, able to fit through the door. Optimus called out to Selena, saying that it was too dangerous to go outside. But Selena was already long gone. Selena climbed onto Philippe's back and started to ride off into the forest. The two race through the woods, Selena looking back to see if Knockout followed her. But all she sees is wolves chasing her and Philippe. She and Philippe continue to race through the forest, hoping to escape the hungry wolves. But a few appeared in front of them, stopping Selena and Philippe from going any further. But, Philippe turns a different way, hoping to escape the wolves. But the wolves only follow, not ready to let their prey escape again.

But Philippe slows down as he reaches a frozen lake, unable to steadily keep on running on the slippery ice. Philippe reared twice, allowing one of the wolves to jump on his back and get to Selena. But she jumps off and grabs a nearby branch, using it to fight off the wolves. Selena swung her branch as the wolves lunged at her, their bared teeth like razors. She beat them away. As she turns to confront another, it bites the branch clean out of her hands. Behind her, a wolf who was obviously the alpha stares at her, preparing to pounce and claim his meal. But, just as it does, something else bats it out of the way. It was Knockout, armed with only his sawblades. Another wolf charged at him, knocking him back.

Knockout grabbed the wolf by the neck, aiming to not get bitten by the beast. One bit at his leg but Knockout transformed his saw back into his hand to catch it by the neck and swing it away from him. He also threw the one he had grabbed by the neck. Now stood up, Knockout got his sawblades back out as more wolves ran to attack him. It was the alpha. The alpha wolf jumped onto Knockout's back and went for his neck. Knockout stood up, taking the alpha by its mouth and throwing it across the frozen lake. Knockout stood upright, trying to look big and scare the alpha away. Knockout yelled out, scaring the alpha wolf who retreated.

The other wolves followed. As the wolves fled, Knockout turned back to Selena to ensure she was alright. Selena was unharmed, staying near Philippe, still scared by Knockout. Tired and in pain, Knockout collapsed to the ground. Taking the opportunity, Selena was ready to mount Philippe and ride off. But she hesitated. Knockout had just saved her life. Despite being angry at her just a few minutes ago, he actually came to save her. Maybe Arcee was right. Maybe he wasn't as terrible as he appeared. Giving him a chance, Arcee took off her cloak and put it over Knockout. Feeling the cloak on him, Knockout looked up at Selena surprised.

"You have to help me..." Selena whispered to him, "You have to stand..."

Getting the strength to do so, Knockout stood up and, with help from Selena, got on Philippe's back. Selena guided the two back to the castle. Back where it was safe.