Chapter Twenty-One: Introduction to Vines

This had taken far too long and far too many rats.

Bastille, however, had turned the tide. Her ability to sense rage and unnatural emotions had let them home in on them. After six or seven hunts, they could unravel the spellwork Aklus had put down. Apparently, it had been weakening for some time, and now Bastille had broken it for good.

All very nice.

But it was an inglorious, thankless task, and no one had wanted to do it.

So William finally had a chance to get this job out of the way.

The doors to the Sorcerer's Guild were before William in a very ornate building. The sort that looked like recent construction, too. Father had once told William that only a great fool builds a new building when an old one would do. Things that had been around a while tended to last. The designs were a little angelic and effeminate for his liking. There were lots of angels with too few clothes on. Several names from people who provided generous donations as well.

One was Artulkan Karsif, another John Grimoire, and Rundas De Chevlon. House Marn and Atravain had also been credited. So all three of them had donated?

That did not bode well.

"What got those men their names written into stone?" asked William, looking at the plaque.

"Generous donations," said the guards posted at the door. "I think.

"The Sorcerer's Guild is constantly researching and has to pay the bills somehow. And those names afforded a lot of protection. Nobody wants to take them down until we're sure they aren't coming back."

William nodded. "Ah, not sure we'll last."

"Nobody seems to be lasting these days, kid," said the guard. "We've got a betting pool over whose going to outlive their usefulness to whom." Betting pool? That sounded fun.

Less so than outliving your usefulness. However, that thought process didn't seem like Kiyora? Wasn't she feeling a different side of herself here?

"Does that include Vines?" asked William. He decided to let the matter pass.

"Recent events might have bumped him up the list," said the man. "He's been betting a lot on himself. And guards don't bet against guards.

"Loyalty and all."

"He knows about this?" asked William.

"He runs a more casual organization than some," said the guard. "If we're going to be spectators, we could go the whole way. Our job is to ensure there aren't bloodbaths in the street.

"At least it was. People are still determining what anyone's job is these days. Who is running this place, Vanion or the High King?"

William considered the question and decided he did not know. "Gail Arengeth, if he wants to. But I don't think he wants to. He has his vision for how things should be run and works with Prince Bor and the High King.

"The Duke is simply looking after his responsibilities and interests. Not sure things will work out how he wants them to, though.

"Anything can happen."

"The Duke or Gail Arengeth?" asked the guard.

"Who knows?" asked William. "Who is running this place?"

"So we're all in the dark," the guard laughed. "Well, the betting pool extended to the Sorcerer's Guild, and Vines has been winning like crazy. Who knows?"

William missed Felix. Still, the casual way the man talked made him wonder if he knew who William was. It is best to introduce it now and spare the man further embarrassment. "In any case, my name is William Gabriel.